    Should I give it a try and replace it ?
    Thanks,
    Berthold

    Berthold, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Realistically, the gain is not great. Only a few percent for most things (a
    bit depends on the speed of the existing RAM - perhaps 20%, if this is
    fairly slow). It will help a little, but the thing that has most effect on
    modern games is the video card. Some of the new cards, with 128MB on the
    card, and built in hardware support for more 3D functions, can make a two or
    three times improvement in performance in one hit.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Berthold

    Berthold Guest

    Hello,
    forgot to mention that he is using a GEFORCE 4 MX 440 128 MB DDR DVI AGP
    already

    Berthold, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Berthold

    Egil Solberg Guest

    Videocard is the bottleneck here.

    Egil Solberg, Nov 23, 2003
  5. That is not a fast card for games.
    I'm sorry to say, you will see a much larger gain from a really good video
    card.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Berthold

    NT Canuck Guest

    clue...

    video graphics and computing movement on display in gaming mode
    is ALL done on the video card cpu these days...and on the video card
    ram (which is high speed ddr...where it is needed more).

    A TI-4200 (or better) w/128mb of ddr ram on video card will be a
    giant leap, or an ATI 9600pro w/128mb of ddr on card is the ticket.

    either one (ati is my personal preferrence...had both) will serve you
    well upto 2.8ghz cpu with new processors after which the video
    card would be bottleneck again. mx440 is slowpoke card and
    increasing cpu or going to ddr ram will do nothing for gaming fps.

    you could look into newer fx series video cards if you wish to
    stick with nvidea...but first google (search reviews/posts) on
    reports of the fx series with similar hardware and game as they
    don't always work in reality as price on the shelf. ;-)

    ATI-9500/9600 or higher is full hardware (video card) support
    for DX9 type games and features...if that is immediate concern.

    TI-4200/4600 are DX8 cards but will play most DX9 (newer) games.
    ATI-8500 (discontinued) was also a decent speed but DX8.
    (caution...many cards are not alway as fast as they sound...read reviews)

    There's quite a few assorted reviews/benchmarks you can ponder at:
    http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html
    http://www17.tomshardware.com/game/index.html
    http://www12.tomshardware.com/Tdb/graphic_us.html

    athlon xp 2700 w/ddr and athlon 1000 w/sdr tested on new video cards..
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/index.html

    hth

    NT Canuck, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Berthold

    Sick Willie Guest

    Odds are very good that using that nVidia card with any modern nVidia
    driver, on the A7A, you will find that AGP acceleration has been disabled.
    You can check this out by starting dxdiag and looking at the information
    found on the video page. Nvidia has stated that the ALi chipset used on the
    A7A is unstable with AGP acceleration enabled and therefore their drivers
    disable it by default. There is a work around available on ALi's website.

    As stated here, the video card you have now is a bottleneck. Having AGP
    acceleration would surely help. And even if you upgrade to a better board,
    if it is nVidia based, you would still have the same problem, with the same
    fix.

    As far as SDRAM vs. DDR SDRAM, there would be virtually no difference on the
    A7A.

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Nov 30, 2003