A7M266 and XP2000 T-bred: What mods are needed?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Keegan, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Keegan

    Keegan Guest

    Hi,
    Does anyone know what mods are needed to be done to the A7M266 in order
    for it to take an XP 2000 Thoroughbred A chip?

    I've read that upgrading the BIOS to 1008b is needed as well as changing the
    S2K Slew rate to 1. Changing the Jumper Settings from 'Jumper Free' to
    'Enabled' is also required. Am I missing any steps? I've read something
    about a wire mod but am guessing that that is for chips faster than an
    XP2000.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    *specs*
    A7M266
    Athlon XP 2000 Thoroughbred A
    512 PC2100 Mushnik
    120 GB W.D.
    ATI AIW Radeon 9000 Pro
    450 watt Allied

    Keegan, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Keegan

    JK Guest

    It should not be any problem with xp2000

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    since it goes 1666 MHz, 12.5x 133, there should not be any problem
    either with multiplier. So 'Jumper Free' should work.
    Even with bios 1007.

    The wire mod is probably for some very faster cpu models, although I
    do not understand why. It is normally used on nforce2 chipset mobo's
    to get the option for a multiplier below 12.5x when the cpu has a much
    higher one.

    Remapping of multiplier starts with 13x. 13x ~ 5x, and so on ...
    That is when jumper mode is preferred.

    best regards

    John

    JK, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Keegan

    Keegan Guest

    This is good news! I merely have to change the S2K Skew rate to 1 and drop
    the chip in? According to that website the A7M266 supports Model 6 XP 2000
    chips. The exact number on my chip is AXDA20000DKT3C do you know if this is
    a model 6? According to this site it's a TBredA
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/ but it doesn't say anything about it
    being a model 6.

    This is over my head. I am guessing the remapping of multiplier has
    something to do with a speedier chip and how the mb handles it?

    Keegan, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Keegan

    JK Guest

    Model 6 should be the fsb266 versions. No choice with the xp2000+, but
    the xp2600+ is available in also the model 8, fsb 333 version.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24309.pdf

    on page 13 it mentions fsb266.

    Why don't you buy a new motherboard, nforce2, and a cheap barton 2500+
    ?
    Mine runs 2 GHz at standard voltage with a heavy cooler (zalman
    7000A-C for socketA, coolermaster Aero7+)

    best regards

    John

    JK, Aug 4, 2003
  5. Keegan

    Keegan Guest

    Well that's too bad, I was hoping my chip would work.
    No money :-(

    John, thank you for your help I appreciate it!

    Keegan, Aug 4, 2003
  6. Keegan

    JK Guest

    Why should it not work. Your motherboard can run a fsb266 cpu.

    266 is just 2x133, so motherboard and ram runs fsb133.

    best regards

    John

    JK, Aug 5, 2003
  7. Keegan

    Keegan Guest

    So you're saying it will work? Ok very cool, I will give it a try this
    weekend and let you know if I was successful or not. Thanks again for the
    info John!

    Keegan, Aug 6, 2003