    Any suggestions?

    Regards,
    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Eh? This raises a couple of confusing issues:

    1) A7N motherboard? That's an Asus isn't it? If so, have you tried the Asus
    groups?

    2) You changed a motherboard simply to allow you to change the heatsink/fan
    assembly?
    That implies that high CPU usage, or associated high temperatures, are
    causing a problem. When you say that CPU temperatures look "normal", what,
    specifically, do you mean? Have you tried logging them during periods of
    intensive utilisation?

    Have you tried relaxing RAM timings? If you have changed boards, the optimal
    timings on the new one bay not be the same as the old.
    Have you tried both sticks running one at a time, to rule out a faulty
    stick?
    Small but significant point. You are still running DDR memory, even with
    your single DIMM. The thing you get when you run the two together is called
    dual channel memory.
    Have you changed anything else during the upgrade?
    Short of the above, giving us a full description of your system would help.
    Plus, as mentioned above, if you do have an Asus, try the Asus group.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Mar 18, 2005

  3. Sorry it was a typo. I meant AN7.
    Yes, I was upgrading my brothers machine and he needed a new board so I
    gave him mine.
    Yes I have. Someone suggested using CPU Stability 6.0 which I have done
    and the CPU temp peaks at 50C and if it was CPU temp problems don't you
    think it would do it even if I only had one DIMM in?
    No I haven't. Again someone has mentioned increasing the voltage by a
    tenth or two but I don't usually play around with this stuff. I will
    give it a go.
    I ran memtest86 on both and didn't get any errors but I'll try the other
    one by itself. Thanks.
    Nothing has been overclocked.
    Abit AN7 uGuru. Latest BIOS (date 2004-11-23)
    AMD Athon 3200+
    ATI Radeon 9800 (driver date 2004-11-30) (I'm currently downloading the
    latest drivers. I downgraded the drivers just in case this was the problem)
    2x512 TwinMOS PC3200 DIMMs (except one of them is on my desk at the moment)
    SB Audigy Platinum eX
    120GB Maxtor SATA Hard Drive
    Pioneer 16x Speed 'slot-in' DVD-ROM drive
    Floppy drive (not plugged in)
    Zalman CNPS7000B silent CPU cooler
    Zalman northbridge heatsink (minus a couple of fins so the CPU fan would
    fit!)
    Windows XP + SP2 (nLited - non-essential components removed)

    I think that's it.

    Thanks,
    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Mar 19, 2005