A7N8X / Barton 2600+ 512k 333 / Corsair DDR400/PC3200 XMS

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Guy LaRochelle, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Hello

    I just bought these components and I want to know the best settings to
    use. I've been browsing everywhere looking for the perfect settings
    but I'm not sure I understand everything.

    First, I'm not really looking for overclocking although if I can gain
    a little, then why not... But I will be using the default heatsink/fan
    coming with the retail CPU.

    Now... My main questions all revolve around speed settings for the
    CPU, the memory, the board, etc...

    -Which multiplier should I use?
    -Which CPU speed?
    -FSB speed?
    -Memory speed (sync / async - I was told I would be able to run the
    memory at 400 Mhz and the CPU at 333, so that would be async right?
    what's the point if you buy PC3200 to run it slower??)
    -Voltage settings
    -Etc....

    Also, I will be using a GeForce 4 TI4600 with this board, so is there
    anything I should know about AGP aperture size, voltage and bus speed
    too?

    There are so many settings! Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Guy

    Guy LaRochelle, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Guy LaRochelle

    Ed Guest

    Unless you have problems with stability the defaults should pretty
    much do it, you basically just need to set the FSB to 166MHz for a
    Barton 2600+ .

    Something like....

    CPU External Freq. MHz [166] - (This is the FSB)
    CPU Frequency Multiple Setting [Auto]
    CPU Frequency Multiple [11.5x]
    System Performance [Optimal]
    CPU Interface [Optimal]
    Memory Frequency [SPD]
    Resulting Frequency [xxx] - should say 200MHz with PC3200
    Memory Timings [Optimal]
    FSB Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
    AGP Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
    CPU Vcore Setting [Auto]
    CPU Vcore [1.65V]
    Graphics Aperture Size [64MB] or [128MB]
    AGP Frequency [66MHz] or [Auto]
    System BIOS Cacheable [Disabled]
    Video RAM Cacheable [Disabled]
    DDR Reference Voltage [2.6V]
    AGP VDDQ Voltage [1.5]
    AGP 8x Support [Disabled] (Enable for 8x AGP card)
    AGP Fast Write Capability [Enabled]

    If the CPU is unlocked you could set it up in User Defined modes, then
    set the External Freq. to 200MHz, CPU Multiple to 9.5, and Memory
    Frequency to 100% (to run ram in sync of the FSB)

    With the included retail heatsink I wouldn't push it too far.
    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Wow! This is great info! I'll try that!

    Thanks a lot Ed!
    Guy

    Guy LaRochelle, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Guy LaRochelle

    FABIO55 Guest

    Ed ,could you also suggest the best settings for a step by step
    "overclocking" for an AMD Boxed Barton 2500 with same mobo and 512mb PC3200?
    Thanks
    Fabio

    FABIO55, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Guy LaRochelle