A7N8X can't access bios setup at all, hangs at "WARNING!! CPU HAVE BEEN CHANGED"

Discussion in 'Asus' started by John Q Public, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. New A7N8X Deluxe hangs at post: "WARNING!! CPU HAVE BEEN CHANGED"

    Replaced an A7m266 that was running fine for about 3 1/2 years. Have
    the XP2100 CPU, 400 Watt power supply Antec, 512 ram pc2100.

    pressing DEL will not even let me update/enter the bios setup.

    Tried clearing CMOS, and now I get...

    "CMOS checksum error- Defaultsloaded"

    and then...

    "The system was not correctly shut down and is
    working in safe mode speed, please press DEL to BIOS setup table to
    set correct CPU speed"

    BUT I STILL can't access the damn BIOS. Tried holding DEL down as I
    power up-nothing. Just locks up at the above mantioned error message.
    ALT-F2 won't boot off a Win98 startup floppy even, so I can't even
    flash the BIOS if I wanted to because I can't even get to an A:\
    prompt.

    John Q Public, Jul 19, 2003

  2. John Q Public

    jvc23 Guest

    I know, it's a dumb question, but do you have the keyboard and mouse
    switched? The keyboard plugged into the mouse port and the mouse into the
    keyboard port??

    JVC

    jvc23, Jul 19, 2003

  3. John Q Public

    Alan Guest

    I had exactly the same board and the same upgrade, only an AMD 2000.

    The same problems occured on my board and was corrected when I changed my
    memory.
    What memory do you have? I was using Samsung (recommend list by Asus), but
    when I changed to OCZ my problem was gone.

    However you might want to check the heat compound between your processor and
    heatsink. Make sure you have only a very slight amount of arctic silver,
    and work the seating of the heatsink to the processor. This will make a
    huge difference in the temps.

    By the way, I still find my A7M266 board to process renderings faster than
    the A7N8X, even though the processor is only a Athlon1200.

    Hope this helps,

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan, Jul 19, 2003