A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 setup questions

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BilEBob, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. BilEBob

    BilEBob Guest

    I am getting ready to setup my new A7N8X deluxe and had a few questions
    before i dig into this.

    1. I am re-using my old Athalon T-bird 1200 CPU and am assuming that I
    need to set the mb jumper to 200mhz FSB. Is this correct?
    2. How to disable onboard audio? I want to use my Audigy2 instead, so
    would this be accomplished through the following bios settings? Disable
    - Onboard AC97 Audio Controller, Onboard game port, Onboard MIDI I/O,
    Onboard MIDI IRQ?
    3. I have DSL and need to use one of the onboard lan ports. Does anyone
    have pro's or con's on either the 3com or Nvidia port? Any problems with
    either of them? I have a Netgear NIC now but would rather use the
    onboard lan if there's an advantage.

    Here's what's going into the box:

    A7N8X DELUXE PCB 2.0
    ANTEC TRUE POWER 430
    ATHALON T-BIRD 1200
    1 CORSAIR 512MB XMS DDR3200 400MHZ
    WESTERN DIGITAL 80GB, ATA100 7200 IDE 8MB
    LEADTEK A250 TI4400 128MB
    SB AUDIGY2
    CD & CDRW

    Thanks for you help.

    BilEBob, Jun 25, 2003

  2. BilEBob

    Ed Guest

    Depends, if the last letter on the first line of the CPU is a "B" then
    it's a 200 FSB chip, if it's a "C" then it is a 266 FSB, in the BIOS it
    would be 100x12 or 133x9 or you could even run it at 200 x 6.
    Yep, just disable anything related to the onboard audio and you should
    be fine.
    From posts I've seen, seems the Nvidia NIC works better, I have the
    non-dlx mobo and the Nvidia LAN works just fine.
    I'd run that setup with jumper in the 266/333/400 mode, clear BIOS, it
    should boot up as 100x12. Set BIOS to User Defined, set bus to 200MHz,
    CPU multiplier to 6.0 and RAM at 100% sync of FSB.

    I have a very early stepping of the 1.2GHz T-bird and it runs rock solid
    @ 1350MHz @ 1.85v, newer ones do 1400 with less vcore.

    Good luck,
    Ed
    Barton 2800+ @ 200x11.5 1.725v
    http://tinyurl.com/f94w

    Ed, Jun 25, 2003

  3. BilEBob

    Ron Miller Guest

    Sorry, but I can't refrain from asking WHY?!?
    Why would you buy all those top-of-the-line components, including the
    Corsair PC3200 RAM and then CRIPPLE it all with a terribly, hopelessly
    obsolete CPU that you couldn't get $5US for on eBay? That just makes
    NO SENSE to me at all. If you're going to run a T-bird 1200 (not even
    the peak of the Thunderbird line), you certainly don't need the most
    expensive RAM you can buy, a motherboard as expensive as the A7N8X, or
    a great video card like the Leadtek TI4400.
    What you're assembling here is directly analogous to ordering a 2004
    BMW with a 1982 Yugo engine.
    WHY??

    Ron Miller, Jun 26, 2003
  4. BilEBob

    Shap Guest

    DUde, please buy a 1700+ from NEw Egg for $41! You can at least get decent
    use out of all those other parts.

    Shap, Jun 26, 2003
  5. BilEBob

    BilEBob Guest

    Thanks for the advice. I'll see how it goes this weekend.

    BilEBob, Jun 26, 2003
  6. BilEBob

    BilEBob Guest

    I know, I know, slap me upside da head. I kinda broke the bank this
    month getting these components and need to get this rig fired up now. I
    am also waiting a few months until the 3200 comes down in price. Thanks,

    BilEBob, Jun 26, 2003
  7. BilEBob

    Ron Miller Guest

    Just cause you broke the bank is no reason to put this together as
    specified. You are going to be DISappointed big time. Like Shap
    advised, if you can come up with even a paltry $41US additional, you
    can at least get an XP processor that won't humiliate the rest of the
    premium components you assembled.
    Take a few deep breaths and think this trough a little more.

    Ron

    Ron Miller, Jun 27, 2003
  8. BilEBob

    Ed Guest

    Well, playing games the CPU die temp never goes over 45C, but running
    Prime95 it will get up to 60C, still 25C below spec.

    Ed

    Ed, Jun 27, 2003
  9. From what I've heard the Audigy (2) game port won't work on a A7N8X-Dx due
    to address/resources mismatch or something. So you should use the onboard
    gameport enabled and use that one if you need it.

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

    Thomas Andersson, Jun 29, 2003