A7N8X Deluxe - a few questions

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jon Hume, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Jon Hume

    Jon Hume Guest

    I recently got an A7N8X Deluxe board and it is working pretty well..

    A7N8X Deluxe (rev 2.0 bios 1003)
    2 sticks 512M 3200 Samsung RAM
    2800+ cpu (using 200 fsb at 10.5x with ram set to 100%)
    2 WD 120G 8M cache HD's

    .. sometimes when I boot into WinXP, the 2nd drive is not visible in
    Windows (I have the drives on the same IDE channel, one master, one
    slave)... when I reboot, it solves the problem

    .. sometimes when I leave several apps opened over night, the pc slows
    to a crawl by morning... I am able to close the apps, but the pc is
    still very slow until I reboot.. apps like newsbin, outlook ie, etc...
    nothing intrense like video editing...

    .. In general, is it better to have the 2 Hard Drives on the same
    channel or different channels? (for HD performance)

    .. I see that bios 1005 is available - think I should go for it?

    Jon Hume, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Jon Hume

    Ken Kauffman Guest

    check resources. I believe Newsbin has a lot of versions with memory leaks.
    I've had problems with resources and newsbin in the past. good program
    overall though.

    ken k

    Ken Kauffman, Jul 3, 2003

  3. Jon Hume

    Jon Hume Guest

    it looks like the bios sees both drives everytime... they are both
    NTFS... sometimes (rarely) windows just does not list the 2nd
    drive...

    as for newsbin (v4.12.4178), I really like the program and I have
    noticed that it bleeds ram when it is left opened for a long time.. so
    I did think this was my problem, but exiting the program does not seem
    to clearup the resources..

    Jon Hume, Jul 3, 2003
  4. Jon Hume

    rstlne Guest

    it looks like the bios sees both drives everytime... they are both
    Well, I am glad to hear that this isnt only me, as my cdrw gets lost
    sometimes too!!
    As for your earlier question, both on same or both on different, Ithik
    that's down to what you use more, if you use both drives tons, and move
    resources from drive to drive then move the drives to seperate cables
    but if you burn cd's often, then you need your CDRW to be on a seperate one
    from the hard drive.. (for best speed at least)
    I would have no clue on this (sorry)..

    rstlne, Jul 3, 2003
  5. Jon Hume

    Jon Hume Guest

    In general, I have the OS and my data files on the 1st drive and
    installed programs on the 2nd drive ... I do burn quite a few cd's....
    works fine

    Jon Hume, Jul 3, 2003
  6. Jon Hume

    bp Guest

    If Newsbin isn't releasing it's resources then all that used up ram
    will still be used up until you reboot.

    bp, Jul 4, 2003
  7. Jon Hume

    Papa Guest

    why don't you run a recovery program like Free mem pro

    Papa, Jul 4, 2003