    modem or do in need a 10/100 NIC?

    Thanks
    John

    John Boy, Jun 26, 2003

  2. What do think the onboard 3COM and nVidia RJ45s are? They are 10/100 NICs
    and certainly can be used for ADSL connections. My onboard nVidia (A7N8X
    Deluxe) is doing just that to send this reply.

    Mike Bernstein, Jun 26, 2003

  3. John Boy

    John Boy Guest

    Hi Mike;
    thanks for the prompt and helpful reply.

    John Boy, Jun 26, 2003
  4. John Boy

    edde Guest

    I use the Nvidia form my 1Mbit ADSL. It is apparently slightly better than
    the 3com.
    Howver, both will work wonderfully since most DSL doesnt even use 1% of the
    nics bandwidth.

    Also, a tip if you use the Nvidia, select the NIC in Device Manager, and
    change the Optimize For option to Throughput (instead of CPU). When you do
    this, the NIC uses much less cpu (which seems backwards doesnt it?). In
    fact, it uses no cpu overhead when throughput is selected (compared to about
    5% when cpu is selected).

    edde, Jun 26, 2003
  5. John Boy

    The Cybrow Guest

    You can use either one to connect to your modem. I've used them
    both successfully but have seen a few posts here about one port or the
    other not working, so if one won't work try the other.

    The Cybrow, Jun 27, 2003