A7N8X Deluxe And Serial ATA Plextor DVD Burners?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by amuskratt, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. amuskratt

    amuskratt Guest

    Does anyone have any one of the Plextor Serial ATA DVD burners working
    with the A7N8X Deluxe? Can the A7N8X Deluxe boot off of this drive?

    I've always avoided internal IDE burners of any sort because, time and
    again, I've seen people having trouble with these. (Usually it would
    come down to whether DMA mode should be enabled.) Anyway, I started out
    with an external SCSI burner and am now using an IDE burner in an
    external USB2/Firewire enclosure while using an ordinary DVD-ROM drive
    as my internal drive.

    With Serial ATA DVD burners under $150 now, I may forgo all of the
    above and just have one as my one and only internal DVD drive and
    burner. Am I asking for trouble?

    Plextor has an INCOMPLETE compatability list of motherboards and Serial
    ATA PCI cards. The A7N8X Deluxe is not listed but PCI cards using the
    Silicon Image SiI 3112 ARE on the list.

    The SiI 3112 is built into the A7N8X Deluxe which should give one hope.
    There is, however, the possibility that the A7N8X Deluxe BIOS may not
    allow one to boot off of a Serial ATA DVD burner.

    Is there anyone here who can speak from experience and say if one can
    definitely use a Serial ATA DVD burner as a bootable DVD drive with the
    A7N8X Deluxe.

    amuskratt, Dec 17, 2004

  2. amuskratt

    pwrberry Guest

    Not sure what problem you are having but my a7n8x-e deluxe works great
    with a px-712a ( ide ) drive and a nec n3500 drive.
    A review in PC format said that windows couldnt install off the
    px-712sa drive as it didnt know it was there.

    pwrberry, Dec 18, 2004

  3. amuskratt

    amuskratt Guest

    I can't say that I've had any problems with internal IDE burners
    myself, but have had plenty of friends who HAVE. I've ALWAYS used an
    external burner, have never had any problem with this and have stuck
    with this as a habit.

    It's the experiences of others that has made me wary of using an
    internal IDE burners.

    Windows installation wuldn't know if it's there if the BIOS doesn't
    tell.

    I always suspected that this would be the case but was hoping
    otherwise.

    Any chance of a BIOS update that will add this capability?

    amuskratt, Dec 18, 2004