A7N8X Deluxe - at boot time it tried to boot from network

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Alex Hunsley, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    This morning I turned on my computer and at boot time, at the point
    where XP would normally start to boot, it started trying to boot via one
    of the inbuilt network cards - something to do with PXE and nforce
    network boot manager. I reset the machine, did the same again, I reset,
    and the third time, I gt back into windows without any network boot
    shenanigans. This was without changing anything, including the bios.

    Why did it try booting from the network those two times then stop? Would
    that indicate the normal boot disk wasn't present somehow (perhaps a
    loose cable) those two times? (What is it that makes the A7N8X try to
    boot from the network anyawy? The situation where it can't find a disk
    to boot from?)

    FYI, my disk setup is that I have a single 250gig SATA drive attached,
    which I boot from, and a normal IDE hd attached to IDE0 (master, only
    thing on it). I also have 2 CD-roms attached to IDE1.
    In the bios, my first boot device is 'SCSI', and I have enabled 'enable
    other boot device' (which I presume allows the SATA drive to boot). The
    2nd and 3rd boot devices are disabled currently.

    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Alex Hunsley

    DDStech Guest

    This usually is the cause of not finding a bootable device as it goes down
    the list. It looks in the order you specify in the bios, and if no boot
    sector, it moves onto the next. Finally, if it finds nothing and you have
    network boot enabled, it will try to find an image server to boot from. How
    old is this disk you are booting to?

    DDStech, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Ah, that's what I thought.
    The disk is quite new - under a year old - a 250gig SATA, think it's a
    maxtor, can't remember exactly.
    May have just been a temporary connection problem?
    I did a quick disk check in XP and it found no problems.

    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Alex Hunsley

    DDStech Guest

    Well, there are a number of ways a disk can fail besides read/write events.
    One way is the motor that turns the spindle gets week. This usuallly shows
    itself in two ways. First, when the drive is cold, it has problems getting
    up to speed. After it runs for awhile, it warms up and then no problems,
    computer boots just fine. Second is when the drive gets warm, it fails to
    get up to speed from a cold boot. This shows itself as you turn off the
    computer to "reset" the sytem, or install a new chip/card. Then restart and
    the computer won't boot. Same can be said for the read/write head armature
    and solenoid.

    DDStech, Sep 23, 2004
  5. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Interesting insights! thanks for those DDStech.
    Btw, can I ask you to please not top-post? It makes following threads
    very difficult.

    Alex Hunsley, Sep 23, 2004
  6. Alex Hunsley

    Pug Guest

    I had a very similar problem, just after updating the bios to 1008 with the
    scsi boot option. It refused to boot from my adaptec scsi card or the 2 sata
    drives I've got, even a boot cd failed with a blank screen. I had to switch
    back to 1007 and reset the bios to default settings with all the performance
    settings off before it would boot again.

    Pug, Sep 23, 2004