    JohnD Guest

    Since new I have had to use a combination of the reset and pwr buttons
    to get this pc to boot. Any Idea's would be appreciated. thx, John

    JohnD, Nov 12, 2003

  2. JohnD

    Ben Pope Guest

    Eh?

    Do you mean that it doesn't power up, or that the screen doesn't initialise?

    The screen initialisation is a known problem.

    What Rev board do you have?

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 12, 2003

  3. JohnD

    Jody Guest

    That sounds odd. I really doubt this is it, but i've seen a couple
    instances where a faulty power or reset switch causes problems,
    especially if a wire may have been bent sharply or something.

    Try each switch(the power and reset switches are exactly the same)
    separately on the PWR Switch pins without the reset hooked up.

    Any difference?
    jody

    Jody, Nov 12, 2003
  4. JohnD

    JohnD Guest

    I will check on the rev. I have the pwr supply switch set to ON. When
    I press the "On" button on the front of my case nothing happens.
    After hitting the reset and On buttons randomly it will pwr on and
    boot. I have just left the pc running basicly for weeks, but thats
    the deal. thx

    JohnD, Nov 12, 2003
  5. JohnD

    Ben Pope Guest

    Then I would suspect a problem with your PSU - either under rated (not able
    to supply enough current) or something causing it to give less current than
    it should... additionally, it could be the power on circuitry.

    If you connect pin 14 to either 15 or 13 of the PSU ATX connector, does it
    switch on consistantly?

    http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/power/atxpower.html

    If it doesn't, then it's a PSU problem, otherwise it could be a lack of
    current, or dodgy connections to the power/reset switches (possibly on the
    motherboard, but not especially likely).

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 13, 2003
  6. JohnD

    Zantafio Guest

    May I learn a bit more about this known problem ?

    Thanks

    Zantafio, Nov 13, 2003
  7. JohnD

    Ben Pope Guest

    Don't have anything you can go away and read up about... but it's not the
    first time I've heard it. It also happened on the first A7N8X I had, which
    I got for a system I was building for a friend. Not had any time to have a
    look at it.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 14, 2003
  8. Mine behaves strangely. Dunno if it's a problem of PSU or MoBo or disk.
    Sometimes it says cpu fan failed then doesn't boot (no vid) or the video
    keeps blank and typing the password it boots (blind), sometimes not.
    Sometimes, it doesn't detect IDE drives, either with or without video. This
    lasted for ten days two weeks ago and disappeared.
    Sometimes the screen gets blank for 1 or 2 seconds during a session then
    recovers.
    I disconnected about half of the load (all SCSI drives, CD burner & CR Rom)
    this didn't change anything. The steady-state voltages are within the
    specified ranges (3-1/2 digit multimeter). Dunno about surges because the
    board sinks a high current and might create voltage drops or ringing while
    powering the MoBo On. I don't have an oscilloscope available to make the
    test. Would like to find the electrical specs of the board !

    Anyway, I'm far of being satisfied with this board. Too much heat from the
    CPU (2400+) albeit well ventilated. The case must remain open. The 3COM lan
    port doesn't work when the NVidia is enabled. I've the random problems
    described above. No BSODs but random freezes, especially under IE 5.5 no
    kbd, no mouse, no network. I can't install the Nvidia drivers (from the Asus
    CDROM) on a fresh Win98 SE (on a separate partition), ... However it worked
    the first time when the system was pristine. Today, the suspend button
    doesn't suspend !

    Very badly documented, problems are recurrent from the first rev to the
    newer ones. Some softwares aren't supported by the NForce 2 chipset (Maxtor
    PowerMax for example So I can't check my disks). The Asus site sucks. Never
    they answer.

    I've spent tens of hours on different sites. Everywhere this the same sounds
    and feelings.

    Gino Zantafio, Nov 14, 2003
  9. JohnD

    Ben Pope Guest

    Up to here I would say PSU.
    When you remove load and still get the same problems with the same
    regularity... possibly not PSU. At least.. the cpu can probably handle the
    load - it could still be a dry joint in the psu or something.
    And thats board related?
    Have I spoken to you about this before? I still reckon it's likely to be
    the routing table configuration in the bios. For example, when I enable a
    certain combination of the NICs, it doesn't attempt to access the internet
    through my dialup, prefering to attempt to use one of the NICs. This is a
    problem with the routing table in Win2K... It's setting up the masks wrong
    and using my NIC as a gateway, not my modem.
    You done a memtest86 on it to confirm memory stability?
    You shopuldn't really be using Win98 these days, it's atrocious in
    comparison to Win2K/XP. The memory management is poor, resources low and
    stability is questionable.
    ? Manual seems pretty complete to me.
    Yes, that is annoying, but I think some of the problems are software related
    (some of which should be fixed in the 3.13s).
    OK, but pretty rare.
    Given, they could do some load balancing or something - having their website
    throw SQL errors at you is annoying. As to support, you either need to RMA
    the board or come here or nForcersHQ for advice.
    Only from the people that are not happy with their board. There are many
    people who do not need to go to these forums to complain, because their
    board works flawlessly. My board hasn't caused me any problems whatsoever.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 15, 2003
  10. Lots of clues I've to investigate. I print out your message to process it
    during the week.
    Thanks

    [ snip ]

    Gino Zantafio, Nov 16, 2003