    out of it?

    TIA

    Don

    Doink, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Ummm...........did you change the jumper on the motherboard for the higher
    FSB of your new processor????

    --
    callsignviper

    The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
    the right questions.

    callsignviper, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Doink

    Ed Guest

    If it's an unlocked Barton, for starters I'd start with...,

    CPU External Freq. MHz [200]
    CPU Frequency Multiple Setting [Menu]
    CPU Frequency Multiple [10.5x]
    System Performance [User Defined]
    CPU Interface [Aggressive]
    Memory Frequency [100%]

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Doink

    Doink Guest

    I've tried the jumper in both possitions - I've never been able to get the
    memory speed to report faster than 200MHz.

    Doink, Jan 5, 2004
  5. Doink

    Ed Guest

    PC3200 only runs at 200MHz by default,

    PCxxxx / DDR / MHz
    PC1600 / 200 / 100
    PC2100 / 266 / 133
    PC2700 / 333 / 166
    PC3200 / 400 / 200

    FOR EXAMPLE....
    CPU External Freq. MHz [210]
    Memory Frequency [100%]
    Ram would run at 210MHz.

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 5, 2004
  6. Doink

    Doink Guest

    Thanks Ed!

    Based on your comments it appears that I'll never report more than 200MHz
    even though it's a 333MHz proc. Would I be better off chasing down some
    PC2700 RAM?

    Don

    p.s.: I appologize for the "dumb questions" Staying up 'til 2:30am pounding
    my head on this hasn't helped the thinking process too well! <grin>

    Doink, Jan 5, 2004
  7. Doink

    Doink Guest

    Ed,

    I tried these settings - it didn't like the multiplier settings at all.

    Doink, Jan 5, 2004
  8. Doink

    Ed Guest

    Must be a locked CPU then?

    Ed, Jan 5, 2004
  9. Doink

    Ed Guest

    Well if it runs stable with ram out of sync (ram @ 200MHz/FSB @ 333Mhz)
    I don't know if I'd bother changing the ram, you could always use the
    PC3200 @ 100% setting and raise the FSB from 166 to say 180 or more and
    over clock the CPU. ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 5, 2004
  10. Doink

    Doink Guest

    It must be locked...

    I thought Barton's were all unlocked. I grabbed ClockGen from cpuid.com and
    it won't let me change the FSB - the FSB slider is "greyed out".

    Should I get some PC2700 RAM, or will my current PC3200 be OK?

    Doink, Jan 5, 2004
  11. Doink

    Ed Guest

    I wouldn't downgrade the ram!

    You can change the FSB in the BIOS, if you raise the bus in Windows I'd
    try Nvidia'a utility instead, but you'll probably need to raise the
    vcore to keep the CPU stable anyway in the BIOS.

    My week 7 Barton 2800+ will run at 2.2GHz at 1.675V, not stable at that
    speed at the default vcore of 1.65v.

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 5, 2004
  12. Doink

    Cybrow Guest

    Hey Don,

    Set your memory frequency to "100%" and not 'By SPD. These boards will
    run best when the memory is in sync with the CPU. Although this is a
    slower mem setting, the system will run faster and be more stable. If
    you have a Rev 2 MB the system will most likely run with the FSB and
    the memory both at 200. In this case you would need to lower the
    multiplier, say to 11, which would give you 3000+ performance. I have
    a 2500+ running at 200 FSB and standard Vcore which runs cool and
    entirely stable. Overclocking may not be worth the risk to you for the
    marginal gain but I thought I would mention it.

    Cybrow, Jan 5, 2004
  13. Doink

    Ed Guest

    Nice going, those 2500+'s *are* nice, even when locked, they have the
    perfect multiplier for over clocking on a 200 bus!

    btw, 200x11 would be a 3200+, but whose counting?
    DAMN Model numbers! ;p
    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Jan 5, 2004
  14. Doink

    Doink Guest

    Cybrow,

    Thanks for your perspective! I left the multiplier on Auto, the FSB at 166
    and set the CPU interface to "aggressive". It posts as a 2800+ running the
    memory at 166. I've gotta say - it's fast! And for what I've been able to
    tell, it's stable (VERY). I tried changing the multiplier to 13, leaving
    the bus at 166 - the darn thing wouldn't even post. I had to jumper clear
    the CMOS in order to get it back.

    I think I'll go grab a beer and enjoy...

    Thanks again!

    Don

    Doink, Jan 6, 2004
  15. Doink

    Doink Guest

    Thanks Ed - your patience with me is appreciated. See ya in the bitstream!

    Don

    Doink, Jan 6, 2004
  16. Doink

    Ed Guest

    The A7N8X can not change the 5th bit of the multiplier, this means
    depending on the default multiplier of the processor installed you will
    have a choice of multipliers of "up to 12.5x" or "13x and greater.

    So up the bus and lower the multiplier! ;p

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 6, 2004