    see anything extra in the pinout for that header on the board except for a
    pin that carries +5v.

    Thanks in advance.

    JM, Jul 30, 2006

  2. JM

    Rob Guest

    JM,
    IIRC,the front mic is MIC2 and the rear connector is MIC1. There is a
    checkbox , on the first page I believe, of the audio software to toggle
    between them. HTH
    Rob

    Rob, Jul 30, 2006

  3. JM

    Paul Guest

    For a microphone, the appropriate connections are MIC2, MICPWR, AGND
    on tip, ring, and sleeve of the connector. The +5VA is not to be
    used (will burh stuff).

    One thing to check, is some sound chips need the microphone to be
    enabled in the control panel. You have a mic on the rear of the
    computer, and a mic on the front of the computer, and something
    has to tell the computer which microphone to listen to.

    Also, an electret microphone has a high level output, a dynamic
    microphone has a low level output. For dynamic microphones,
    you would want the 20dB "Mic boost" enabled, in order to hear
    it.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 30, 2006
  4. JM

    JM Guest

    Ah, that was the problem! I never even noticed the Mic2 option in the
    control panel, I just assumed the front panel was on the same line as the
    onboard. I guess the MIC2 label on the FPAUDIO connector should have been
    my first clue.

    Thanks!

    JM, Jul 30, 2006