a7n8x Deluxe - Optical Drives Master/Slave Problem

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Bob Badger, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. Bob Badger

    Bob Badger Guest

    Hi,

    I'm a newbie and have a problem I just can't figure out. My system is:

    a7n8x Deluxe
    Primary IDE - Master 80GB HD
    Slave 40GB HD
    Secondary IDE Master TEAC CD RW
    Slave Compaq (Panasonic) DVD
    512 MB RAM
    6600GT Graphics Card
    AMD 2400+ XP
    Win Xp Pro

    My hard drives work fine as does my TEAC CD RW, but I can't get the DVD
    to work as the slave on the second IDE. The TEAC is set to cable choice
    and the DVD is set to Slave on the jumpers.

    The DVD is getting power as I can open and close the draw. The BIOS is
    picking up that something is running as the 2nd slave, but puts a
    gibberish description when booting up.

    Windows sometimes picks up that there is a new cd installed, but won't
    let you read any kind of disk from it. It gives a message of "disk is
    corrupt..." . Also rather stangely when you select eject for the CDRW
    in windows, it opens the draws for both drives!!!

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance
    Bob

    Bob Badger, Aug 23, 2005

  2. Bob Badger

    Rob Hemmings Guest

    Try setting the TEAC to master, DVD to slave and make sure the TEAC
    is the last drive on the cable - this is important. If that doesn't work,
    set TEAC to slave, DVD to master and make sure the DVD drive is on
    the lst connector of the cable. I've also seen faulty IDE cables cause
    this, as well as faulty drives. Avoid setting any drives to cable select
    if you can.
    HTH

    Rob Hemmings, Aug 23, 2005

  3. --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group
    Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)

    That's the problem: you either have both set as master/slave (preferable) or
    both as cable select, not mix'n'match :)

    Thomas Wendell, Aug 23, 2005
  4. Bob Badger

    Ed Guest

    Set the TEAC to Master.
    Master drives should be connected to the end of the IDE cable (usually
    black color) and Slaves in middle (Gray).
    Use 80 pin cables instead of 40 pin cables on CD/DVD doesn't hurt
    either.

    Ed

    Ed, Aug 23, 2005
  5. Bob Badger

    Bob Badger Guest

    Thanks guys, I had to set the DVD to master and the TEAC to slave. The
    BIOS picked it up straight away, and windows now shows both drives
    correctly. The TEAC is still working fine, but I'm still have a few
    probs with my DVD. It will read cds no probs, but when I put a dvd in
    it looks like it is reading it up just hangs explorer...

    Any ideas

    Thanks
    Bob

    Bob Badger, Aug 23, 2005
  6. Bob Badger

    Rob Hemmings Guest

    If you've tried other DVD discs in it and it still hangs, try reading a
    CD in it - if that works, you need a new DVD-ROM drive as
    the DVD laser might have died (combo drives have 2 different freq.
    lasers - 1 for CD, 1 for DVD)
    HTH

    Rob Hemmings, Aug 24, 2005
  7. Bob Badger

    Bob Badger Guest

    Thanks guys for all the help, just as I was about to throw it out (and
    just after downloading XP SP2) it suddenly started working......

    Bob Badger, Aug 30, 2005