A7N8X Deluxe: PCI NIC Faster then Either On-Board NIC

Discussion in 'Asus' started by frank, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. frank

    frank Guest

    Hi,

    I have an A7N8X Deluxe with a single PCI card, a D-Link NIC. I've done
    some testing and have found that the PCI is 50KB/S faster than either
    onboard NIC. Both onboard nics provide about 300 KB/S, and the D-Link does
    about 350 KB/S when downloading from usenet. I've tested this with a
    bandwith monitor app and with the usenet app's built-in bandwith readout
    (BNR2). It's not a fluke: I fbought the mainboard a few weeks ago, and
    noticed the difference right away, so I turned the onboard nics off and
    used the PCI. Last night I double checked and my originl impression was
    confirmed.

    Has anyone else noticed this, and is there somethign I can do to resolve
    this issue? I would have bet money that the onboard nics would have an
    edge over the PCI.

    BTW, while looking over the driver info for the onboards, I noticed that
    the 3Com "Advanced" tab has a bunch of tweak settings. Everything's
    installed defaults now: perhaps I should diddle with one of them, any
    ideas?

    OS: Windows XP Home

    The driver for the 3Com onboard nic:
    Provider: 3Com
    Driver Date: 8/13/02
    Driver Version: 4.31.0.0

    The driver for the Nvidia Nfoce onboard nic:
    Provider: Nvidia
    Driver Date: 9/23/02
    Driver Version: 2.8.1.0

    Thanks,

    frank, Jun 24, 2003

  2. frank

    Minotaur Guest

    Strange, pulled 700KB/s+ through the nvidia NIC from my internet Cable
    connection.
    Latest driver for the nvidia NIC I have is, DriverVer = 11/27/2002, 3.1.3
    from nvidia.com.

    Minotaur, Jun 24, 2003

  3. frank

    rstlne Guest

    Hi,

    At least your one of the first people who actually used a NETWORK connection
    that can be maxed to test it, instead of a service that is moving..
    I hate how people quote speeds of their download, or maybee even something
    like analogX
    You need to send the packets from the other pc where it can have the exact
    same measurement for both cards.. but hey.. I am just me ;)

    rstlne, Jun 24, 2003
  4. frank

    Phil Guest

    ~6mbit internet connection?

    Damn BT for only letting us have up to 2mbps, and even then at stupidly high
    prices (UK ADSL)

    Phil, Sep 7, 2004