    serial ATA? Tried changing the settings in the Promise Fastrak setup,
    as well as system BIOS, no change.

    Thanks

    John Q. Public, Jan 11, 2004

  2. John Q. Public

    Ben Pope Guest

    You can do it, but you'll have to boot off of the Promise, I think.

    The onboard SATA controller is the "SCSI Boot" device, but so is the Promise
    controller... which one that is booted off of, I'm not sure, but I am under
    the impression that when you set SCSI to be the first boot device, it will
    pick the onboard SATA controller, unless there is another IDE/ATA/SCSI
    bootable controller fitted to the board (such as your Promise controller)

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 12, 2004

  3. John Q. Public

    D R Tester Guest

    Yes Ben, you are exactly right - confirmed this over the weekend with a
    promise card.
    Dom

    D R Tester, Jan 12, 2004
  4. I'm still not understanding completely. So then would I need to first
    install/setup my Promise PCI-IDE RAID 0 to boot (C: drive) and then
    install/setup the serial ATA RAID?

    John Q. Public, Jan 16, 2004
  5. John Q. Public

    Ben Pope Guest

    You can do it in whatever order you like, but you will have to boot from a
    drive on the Promise Controller (I wonder what happens if there are no
    active partitions here - I don't think it checks the onboard SATA)

    What this means is that if you install Windows on a drive connected to the
    SATA controller, then set up the Promise, you will be no longer able to boot
    Windows. You will need to set up a boot loader of some sort on a drive
    connected to the Promise and point it to the partition on the drive where
    Windows is (on the SATA controller).

    I'm accustomed to Grub and LILO as I use Linux and both of these can do what
    you want, but you would need a Linux install (even one on a CD which you can
    boot from, such as a Gentoo Live CD) in order to configure it. I suspect
    there are plenty of other boot loaders out there which can be configured
    either from Windows or from themselves.

    Sorry, that got more compliocated than it should have - just install Windows
    after you have a drive connected to the Promise and life will be much
    easier.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Ok, so how about if I decide to install WindowsXP (and therefore boot
    from) the Promise Raid controller, since it seems it may be faster
    anyhow...then what would I do first, install Windows on the promise
    and then just install the Serial ATA raid?

    John Q. Public, Jan 17, 2004
  7. John Q. Public

    Ben Pope Guest

    I don't think you'd see much difference in performance between the two.

    Enable the SATA Controller (Jumper on the motherboard). Install the Promise
    card into the machine. Plug in your hard drives. Insert XP install CD.
    Follow the on screen prompts :p

    If you have all your hardware in the machine when you install Windows, you
    can't go far wrong. Probably.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 17, 2004