A7N8X - Deluxe... problem with XP2500+ and Samsung PC3200 DDR400.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Soryu Dragon, Dec 28, 2003.

  1. Soryu Dragon

    Soryu Dragon Guest

    I'll start at the beginning,

    I am running the A7N8X-Deluxe ver2.0
    AMD XP 2500+ Barton
    2x 256MB Crucial PC2700 DDR333 for a total of 512MB in Dual Mode

    The rest is gravy... MSI GeForce FX 5600 256MB RAM

    Anyways, everything seems to be working ok, CPU/RAM BIOS settings are
    Multi.= 11.0, FSB @ 166MHz, VCore @ 1.65v
    And the system picks it up as the XP 2500+, okay that is good, but my RAM
    seems to be running only at 166MHz. Am I being jipped here? whould it not
    run at 333 or at least 334? If I try to increase my RAM it crashes.

    Then I learned If I want to OC my CPU to run as a XP 3200+ I need
    PC3200-DDR400 RAM. So I got a stick of RAM, 1x 512MB Samsung PC3200 DDR400
    in Single Mode. And when I increased my setting to run at 400MHz,
    Multi.=11.0, FSB @200MHz, VCore @ 1.65v, the system would crash hard every
    time.

    So I figure I'll just set my CPU to it's required 166MHz, but ther RAM is
    only running at 200MHz now. What's the deal?

    Can somebody help explain this one.

    Some links to explain my be halpfull too.

    Thnx in Advance,

    Soryu...

    Soryu Dragon, Dec 28, 2003

  2. Soryu Dragon

    Ed Guest

    PC2700 runs at 166MHz, the DDR spec is 333 (166x2=333)

    PCxxxx / DDR / MHz
    PC1600 / 200 / 100
    PC2100 / 266 / 133
    PC2400 / 300 / 150
    PC2700 / 333 / 166
    PC3000 / 366 / 183
    PC3200 / 400 / 200
    PC3500 / 433 / 216
    PC3700 / 466 / 233
    PC4000 / 500 / 250
    PC4200 / 533 / 266
    PC4400 / 550 / 275
    1.65V vcore is probably not enough for your overclocked CPU, I need
    1.675v to get my Barton 2800+ to run stable @ 200x11, and 1.75V to run
    stable @ 2315MHz, most posts I see with 2500+ @ 3200+ setting use 1.75v,
    some less, some more, all depends on how good the CPU is, and of course
    if you have to have sufficient Case/CPU cooling so as not to let the
    smoke out! ;p
    PCxxxx / DDR / MHz
    PC3200 / 400 / 200
    HTH,
    Ed

    Ed, Dec 28, 2003

  3. Soryu Dragon

    Fiddler Guest

    PC2700 ram does run at 166MHz
    DDR333(166x2)

    Fiddler, Dec 28, 2003
  4. Soryu Dragon

    Lonn Guest

    Try relaxing your memory timmings. What are they set at now? Try 7,3,3 or
    even 8,3,3

    Lonn,

    Lonn, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Soryu Dragon

    Soryu Dragon Guest

    Excellent Help so far. I set my VCore to 1.75v and it's running ok for now.
    I'll let you know if it crashes again.
    The FSB is running ar 200.5MHz and BUS Speed is at 400.9MHz, Core Speed is
    currently at 2205.0 MHz with a Multiplier @ x11.0

    My Mem info so far is... 200.5MHz., my FSB:DRAM is 1:1, CAS# Latency is
    2.5clocks, RAS# to CAS# Delay is 4clocks, RAS# Precharge 4clocks, Cycle Time
    (Tras) 8clocks.
    and like I said, it seems to be running nicely for now.

    I have an Antec Case with lots of cooling, my CPU temp is about 33C. so at
    least it's not over heating.

    I'm using the CPU-Z 1.2a to monitor my system timings.

    Thnx for all your help.

    Soryu...

    Soryu Dragon, Dec 29, 2003
  6. Soryu Dragon

    Ed Guest

    Sounds good!
    Try running prime95 stress test, if your ram is set too aggressive you
    should get an error within a few minutes. If the CPU vcore is too low
    you'll get an error within 15-30 minutes, and if the CPU isn't cooled
    good enough or you try to run it too fast the PC will probably just
    reboot or crash after about an hour or so or possibly sooner if you
    really push the CPU. ;p

    This is all just from my own experience with my A7N8X v2 and Barton. I
    set up my system based around prime95, since I got prime95 to run
    without any errors my system has been 110% rock solid for almost 8
    months now. ;p

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Dec 30, 2003