    What about one RAID on a PCI IDE RAID card, plus another on the mobo's
    Serial ATA?

    Spacey

    Spacey Spade, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Should work!

    -Gernot

    Gernot Saborowski, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Spacey Spade

    Ben Pope Guest

    That'll be fine, but I suspect that you would need to boot from the IDE RAID
    partition.

    This is 'cos external ATA controllers take preference over the onboard ATA
    controller, AFAIK. It shouldn't be a major problem though, but worth
    bearing in mind.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Any way of changing this? I'd like to boot from SATA (single drive, not a
    RAID), with an IDE RAID controller installed (RocketRAID 454) for my data
    drives. Unfortunately, I've just discovered I can't seem to get it to boot
    from SATA with the RocketRAID installed... :-(

    William Barnes, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Spacey Spade

    Ben Pope Guest

    I don't think so. I'm not sure how the BIOS decides what a SCSI controller
    is and and which one it's going to use.

    I've had a play with modbin and can't see anything obvious. What you
    require is not impossible, but may not be user configurable in any way.

    There's nothing stopping you from sticking a bootloader on the IDE drive and
    using that to boot from your SATA one.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Because the SATA is external (PCI). The internal is ATA.
    Only(?) Intel has native SATA with Raid support.

    Nope, never has been so.
    But you can with it removed?

    Folkert Rienstra, Nov 20, 2003
  7. Spacey Spade

    Ben Pope Guest

    Yeah, the Intel ICH5 (I think thats what it is called). nForce2 does not
    support SATA or RAID. nForce3 supports both, AFAIK.
    I think you'll find that an external ATA controller on the A7N8X will be
    attempted to be booted from instead of the onboard SATA controller if you
    select SCSI in the boot order.

    Yes, he can.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Presumably you mean "add-in"?
    Which is external of the MoBo chipset.
    That is entirely possible but that doesn't bite with what I commented on,
    i.e. taking precedence over the MoBo chipset native ATA controller.

    If the MoBo bios choses to scan the add-in controller first and only, then
    that is a flaw in either the MoBo bios or the bios from that particular
    controller. It should scan all controllers, not only the preferred one.
    There can be a problem though when a drive attached to the add-in
    controller has the potential to be bootable but isn't (primary partition).
    It may be worth a try to have only an extended partition on that drive
    in that case.
    So the drive is bootable to begin with. Just checking ;-).

    Folkert Rienstra, Nov 20, 2003
  9. Spacey Spade

    Ben Pope Guest

    If you prefer.
    Thats not what I said... my comments refer to the particular motherboard in
    question which does not have native SATA support. Hence "onboard" and
    "external" with respect to the motherboard.
    You mean active?
    Only active partitions are booted (only primary partitions can be active,
    but you can have up to 4 of them per drive)

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 21, 2003
  10. Could you please setup your newsclient so that is doesn't wreck the quoting?

    But that is what it read.
    The problem with that is that from a logic(al) standpoint, your 'onboard'
    (add-on) and 'external' (add-in) are the same, they both sit on the PCI bus.
    Yes and No. Yes, 'not active' should be enough to let the bios continue
    searching and No, a poorly written bios may see the primary as a boot
    candidate and break off the search even though it shouldn't.
    Yup, that is how it is supposed to be in the perfect world.
    Not with MS, AFAICT.

    Folkert Rienstra, Nov 21, 2003
  11. Spacey Spade

    Ben Pope Guest

    Whats wrong with it?

    I'm using OE-Quotefix so it might look like anything for all I know.

    I just undid the changes it makes... don't see any major problems, if you
    expand on the problem I'll see what I can do.

    Can you snip and not top post please?

    :p

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 22, 2003
  12. Spacey Spade

    Ben Pope Guest

    Here is a test to see if quoting is still "wrecked"

    How is that? Hopefully that sorted it, thanks for drawing it to my
    attention.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 22, 2003
  13. Spacey Spade

    Ben Pope Guest

    Didn't see the bits below...
    "external ATA controllers take preference over the onboard ATA controller,"

    I was commenting on the onboard SATA controller, context should have made it
    clear but thats my bad...
    Indeed. Logically they both are. But I was talking physically, hence terms
    such as "onboard" and "external" I know they both reside on a PCI bus, not
    the same one in this case.
    You come across any of these "poorly written" BIOSes? Got an example?
    Got an example of an imperfect world?
    It works fine, MS Fdisk can't deal with it, but the OSs will boot.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 22, 2003
  14. Single word lines caused by auto-linebreaks?
    Aha, I was already wondering howcome the single word lines caused by
    the autoline breaks were having the correct number of quote characters.
    I didn't even check what you were using as it 'must' have been something
    else than OE. Hadn't considered that it might have been an inconsistently
    setup OE-QuoteFix.
    I'll toppost when it is convenient and I won't snip when that's inconvenient.
    I'll not toppost when it is inconvenient and I'll snip when that's convenient.
    Did I leave out anything or will this suffice for you?

    Folkert Rienstra, Nov 22, 2003
  15. I wouldn't have seen them either if I had snipped them so mindlessly.
    i.e. externally from the chipset, I should have added.
    Not that it matters, but I don't think so, unless it has a PCI to PCI bridge.
    Not really, but when this behaviour surfaces, do you have a better explanation?
    May as well be the MoBo at hand.
    You are correct.
    The check in the MBR is on multiple active partitions,
    not just primaries, as I wrongly assumed.

    Folkert Rienstra, Nov 22, 2003
  16. Spacey Spade

    Ben Pope Guest

    Multiple ones. There are 3 PCI buses and one AGP on the deluxe. The SATA
    controller is on a seperate PCI bus to the nVidia one, but will probably be
    the same bus as the add on promise card. Again, not that it really matters.

    There seems to be a PCI bus for the southbridge, the slots (including the
    SATA controller), the 3Com NIC and then the AGP slot. The non deluxe does
    not have the 3Com NIC and presumably has one less PCI bus.
    No... never come across the behaviour though.
    The A7N8X? Doesn't happen on mine.
    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 22, 2003
  17. That's not likely.
    Presumably you know this by running a PCI bus sniffer?
    Not all buses are actually PCI buses. Native devices are not on the
    PCI bus but because they are organized the same way as PCI, show
    up as such.
    Presumably that is meant to read:
    "The SATA controller is on a seperate PCI
    bus to the nVidia native ATA controler" ?

    Yes, the native ATA controler is not on the PCI bus but similar
    to the Intel ICH shows up as if it is on a seperate PCI bus.
    Yes, the actual PCI bus.
    The MCP2 native devices.
    The actual PCI bus.
    Would expect that on the physical/actual PCI BUS but maybe
    it sits behind a bridge with that many devices and 5 PCI slots.
    AGP is a form of PCI too.
    But do you have the same bios(es) as OP?

    Folkert Rienstra, Nov 22, 2003
  18. Or even the HyperTransport bus.
    On second thought, this board probably has the MCP-T that
    has the native 3Com compatible NIC.
    Like the native ATA controller it appears as if on a PCI bus.
    [snip]

    Folkert Rienstra, Nov 23, 2003
  19. Hey, great! Any chance you could go into more detail as to how I would do
    that? I kinda want to avoiding screwing up my system too badly when I try
    to move it to a SATA boot drive... :-T

    William Barnes, Dec 6, 2003
  20. Yeah. Basically my boot options are:

    SATA disabled: choice between onboard IDE or PATA PCI RAID card

    SATA enabled, RAID card installed: choice between onboard IDE or PATA RAID
    PCI card; the system won't detect a boot partition on my SATA drive; near as
    I can tell, it never even bothers checking - it only scans my IDE RAID and
    discovers - hey! - there's no OS here! Think I'll stop working!

    SATA enabled, no RAID card: choice between onboard IDE or SATA

    Basically, I want SATA (boot) + PATA IDE RAID (for data) + onboard IDE (for
    optical drives); unfortunately, with my RAID card installed, I can't get my
    system to boot from SATA. Someone suggested I use a bootloader, but I've
    never used one to try to get my system to boot from a different drive
    before - and right now, I'm a little wary of mucking around with my system
    too much...

    Still, I'd really like to hear some ideas on how to resolve this issue,
    please.

    [And yes, I know it's been over two weeks since I first asked about this.
    What can I say? Thanksgiving is hell... :p ]

    William Barnes, Dec 6, 2003