A7N8X Deluxe SPDIF Dolby Digital Weird problem

Discussion in 'Asus' started by thresher, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. thresher

    thresher Guest

    This is just weird.

    I had my A7N8X Deluxe (board rev 1.04 and BIOS 1004) working just fine. Then
    I decided to add SATA RAID to it. Bad Idea.

    So I'm reinstalling the OS (that was a bit of a nightmare because of an
    additional IDE drive I had, but that's not the problem). All goes well, Dolby
    Digital is being pumped therough the SP/DIF connector to my receiver and it
    sounds 5.1 channels worth of awesome. So I go through and do all the driver
    updates, using the official Asus allinone driver set (1.16). Again, works
    fine, sounds great.

    Then I do all of the MS updates. Now I get this interesting little annoyance.

    If no sound is coming from the system for about 30 seconds, the Dolby Digital
    shuts down. It restarts after a sound has been played, but it clips the first
    part of it while it's starting up. I can tell exactly what it's doing because
    my receiver has a display that tells you what soundstream is coming through
    digitally. So when all is working well, it says Dolby Digital 3.1/2 which
    tells me all is well. However, if the system is idle for a minute or so, I
    get "No Digital Input". This tells me the digital signal has stopped and it's
    getting nothing from the computer. It didn't do this until I reformatted and
    reinstalled.

    I reinstalled the OS just to see if I screwed up something, but it appeared
    again. I've isolated it to a MS patch called the Nvidia Multimedia Driver.
    This driver is version 6.14.348.0. Microsoft Windows Update calls this
    "nVidia Multimedia software update released on June 17th".

    This patch was required by GTA VC to get the sound to work correctly. The sad
    thing is that I had this same patch on the system with the EXACT same set of
    Asus Nforce2 drivers before reformatting and reinstalling the OS (with the
    RAID) and it ran fine, no problems.

    Anyone got an idea what's causing this or how to fix it? I need the patch to
    get the sound to work properly in a few games.

    thresher, Jul 29, 2003

  2. I also have an A7N8X Deluxe (board rev 1.04 and BIOS 1004) & Win XP Pro
    working just fine with SATA RAID and a digital receiver 5:1 system. I seem
    to remember having this problem way back with earlier drivers and pre RAID,
    which was then cured with later drivers. The main difference in my case is
    that I started, post RAID, with the latest combined package on the NVIDIA
    website (version 2.03 without IDE) and then upgraded that with the various
    MS audio upgrades up to the latest 6.14.348.0 with absolutely no problem. My
    current setup has not seen the ASUS drivers. Indeed, the latest MS upgrade
    is giving the best sound quality yet.

    Mike Bernstein, Jul 29, 2003