A7N8X-Deluxe / XP2600-333 / Corsair XMS Twinx512-3200LL, OC Questions

Discussion in 'Asus' started by cal, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. cal

    cal Guest

    A7N8X Deluxe
    XP2600/333FSB
    Corsair XMS twinx512-3200LL
    Cooler Master Aero 7 Lite
    Gainward GeForce 3 Ti-450/64 Golden sample (old but still awesome)
    400 watt Antec

    CPU External-200
    CPU Mult-11.5x
    CPU Interface-Aggressive
    Memory Freq-100%
    SDRAM Active Prechrg Delay-6
    SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay-3
    SDRAM RAS Prechrg Delay-2
    SDRAM CAS Latency-2T
    CPU V-Core-1.800v
    AGP Freq-Auto

    Idles at 39-41C, Running @ 2300 Mhz with this config

    Questions?
    1. How high can safely up the V-core?
    2. Any suggestions with SDRAM settings?
    3. I can run at 12.0x / 2400Mhz but need to bump V-core higher for
    good stability when gaming. Is this safe?
    4. What's a relatively safe core temp.

    Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated as I'm still somewhat of
    an OC rookie.

    thecalman

    cal, Oct 25, 2003

  2. cal

    Ben Pope Guest

    Until you get to maybe 70°C Diode temp absolute maximum. 60°C would be a
    better max target for total safety. In theory the core is rated to 85°C,
    but calibration error and variation within the core would lead you to err on
    the side of caution.
    Thats pretty tight, you won't see much improvement from there, really. My
    TwinX1024-3200LL can do 220MHz 5-2-2-2 at 2.7V, I'm under the impression
    Corsair will provide a warranty to 2.8V, but will only necessary if you can
    get the FSB higher. Use memtest86 to check stability of ram.
    Temperature kills chips, not voltage (within reason :).
    I can't imagine ever seeing heat related issues if readings remain below
    60°. As I said, core is rated to 85° - you decide how bad you expect the
    reading to be.

    Use torture test of Prime95 to reach max temps under load (I suspect 5
    minutes is going to get you to within a few degress of max temp - an hour of
    continuous running without error is likely to be stable), and use MBM5 to
    monitor them - it will give you a min/max over time. Idle temperature is
    completely irrelevent - you want to see worst case scenario and see how
    close to your limit you are.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 25, 2003

  3. cal

    cal Guest

    Ran the Torture Test for 1-1/2 hrs. 11.5x @ 1.825v gives me 49c with
    the cooler on full speed.

    When boosted to 12.0x @ 1.85v it fails.

    Also tried running cpu @ 204 / 11.5 @ 1.86v and this fails as well.

    Do you think 11.5x @ 1.825v (2306Mhz) is about all I'll get from a
    XP2600/333. Ben what is your 2500 chip capable of? Got any other
    twealing ideas.

    thecalman

    cal, Oct 25, 2003
  4. cal

    Ben Pope Guest

    Well thats ok, but I think you're measuring socket temp rather than cpu
    diode?
    It's quite possible... getting more than 2.2GHz isn't bad.
    Well my 2500+ gets very hot and doesn't seem to like high FSB either. I
    think I've had it at 220MHz*10.5 and managed to complete Aquamark03, but
    Prime 95 would error almost immediately. I need to get temps down
    considerably so that I'll feel happier with more voltage - I think I was
    running ~1.825V but CPU diode temps were above 70°C, probably mid 70s if I
    recall - I'd like to knock nearly 20°C off that really.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 25, 2003
  5. cal

    cal Guest

    (How do I measure diode temp?)

    thecalman

    cal, Oct 25, 2003
  6. cal

    Ben Pope Guest

    Ben Pope, Oct 25, 2003
  7. cal

    Ed Guest

    Saves a lot of typing the same thing over and over. ;p

    btw, I put the link on my page, maybe you'll get one more visitor per
    day now, lol!
    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 26, 2003
  8. cal

    Ben Pope Guest

    :)

    Cheers!

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 26, 2003
  9. cal

    cal Guest

    Ben,
    Thanks for the great links.

    thecalman

    cal, Oct 26, 2003
  10. cal

    Ben Pope Guest

    No Problem.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 26, 2003
  11. cal

    cal Guest

    Ben,
    Running Prime on Torture Test & using MBM5......

    XP2600/[email protected]/11.5x/1.82v=2303MHz

    [email protected] approx2575
    Diode-avg.58C varies from 53 to 68C
    Socket-22C
    Case-62C

    [email protected] approx3750(this cooler is all over the place at full bore)
    Diode-avg.55C varies 50 to 61C
    Socket-21C
    Case-55C

    Do you think these diode temps are OK? When I'm gaming I turn the
    cooler up full bore. Mundane tasks I like to quiet it a little.
    Someone else in this group has stated that temps should never be over
    mid 40's or processor life will be reduced. What's you opinion on
    this?

    Is there a chance of heat caused motherboard failure from OCing?

    Thanks,
    thecalman

    PS - Based on what I've read I never figured this tbred would OC this
    good!

    cal, Oct 28, 2003
  12. cal

    F.N Guest

    Anything over 55C is too hot IMO.
    How is your case so hot? Bad air flow or what? Also, get a better
    CPU cooler, like a SLK-900A($20 at svc.com) with a nice Panaflo 80mm
    or 92mm fan for quiet operation all the time.

    F.N, Oct 28, 2003
  13. cal

    Ben Pope Guest

    You have socket and case temps reversed... it depends on whether you have a
    Rev2.0 board or not as to which way round they are.
    Core is rated to 85°C, leave 10°C for mis-calibration, 10°C for core
    variation and another 5°C for good measure. That gives you 60°C, which in
    my mind would be a perfectly acceptable running temp in terms of damage
    (don't forget that the rated 85°C will have some margin for error as well).
    Still, I would prefer temps to never exceed 60°C, although I have run mine
    at up to 70°C for short periods.

    I think you'll be fine and that your chip will oulive its useful life at
    those temps.
    Well... not really. A temp inside your case of 22°C is considered room
    temperature. The peaks of nearly 60°C around the socket shouldn't really
    cause you any problems... it's designed with those sorts of temperatures in
    mind... thermal cycling (switching the machine on and off) will probably do
    damage quicker than a sustained heat of 60°C.

    You'll be running a few components at a slightly higher voltage than usual,
    but most components are usually well over-specced anyway so a 0.2V here and
    there isn't going to make any noticeable difference. The only way you could
    shorten the life of your motherboard by overclocking would be if you had a
    badly designed, or faulty components on the board to start with... the
    problems are more likely to appear at higher stresses but in most cases I
    wouldn't expect it to shorten the life at all.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 28, 2003