A7N8X DL and IDE Ben can you take a look at this, anyone else, please take a stab at this!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Bitsbucket, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket Guest

    Hi fellow ASUS users!

    I have posted about this prob. before and now have some benchmarks. I am
    running XP Pro (with all current updates including SPacs) with the newest
    IDE drivers from ASUS, and as for the promise card I'm running the drivers
    that came with it. Details below.......
    Any ideas?
    TIA
    Bitsbucket

    Machine config.......this is accurate except I have eliminated the 52X
    CD-Reader, as suggested by some one here, This is based on the fact that
    some people say the drives will only run as fast as the lowest speed drive
    in the chain, (so the opticals are on a channel by them selves) however I
    thought this had been eliminated years ago. But I'll try anything.
    When opening windows explorer, the machine seems to have to "think" about it
    before displaying the directories or files in a dir....this was not a
    problem with my old Gigabyte board, and a 2100+ T-bred core It had a Raid
    controller I was using as a standard ATA-133 IDE controller, it was a great
    board but did not support the barton cores. (and of course I just HAD to
    have a faster proc) This machine was stable as a rock and I'm beginning to
    regret the change. HOWEVER I am now running at 3200+ speeds and it is
    stable, is the hard drive access is a bottleneck now? Am I just expecting
    too much? Is the machine now so fast that the Hard drive speeds are really
    beginning to show as a bottleneck? Heck I don't know?!?
    Hard drive tach reports:

    Read speed on HD0 (Maxtor) (boot).....max 50.9 mb/s min 1.4 mb/s average
    36.1 mb/s cpu utilization 8.3% xfer mode is Ultra DMA mode 6

    Read speed on HD1 (WD) slave to above drive, max 57.2 mb/s min 7.3 mb/s
    average 45.8mbs cpu utilization 29.5% xfer mode is Ultra DMA mode 5

    Read speed on HD2 (WD) on promise controller max 57.2 mb/s min 7.3 mbs
    average 45.8mb/s cpu utilization 26.6%
    This is the only drive on this controller. I have no idea what mode this
    drive is in because device manager just reports the controller as a SCSI
    device, and gives me no more info. I can get it at bootup but I would have
    to reboot to see it, and include it in this post, if it is needed, to help
    troubleshoot, let me know and I will post it as an addition to this post. I
    do know it is ultra DMA....just not sure what number.

    As you can see my boot drive is the slowest of the bunch, and that SUX.
    Am I missing something?
    --
    Machine Configuration:
    A7N8X Deluxe, 2500+ Barton running 200 MHz FSB = 3200+

    ATI Radeon AIW 7500

    Extra Promise ATA-133 Controller

    Lite-On 52X Burner (this drive and the one below are on 2nd channel of
    onboard controller, burner is master, DVD slave)
    Pioneer Slot type DVD drive

    52X CD-Rom drive (currently not in use)

    Maxtor 80 Gig w/8meg cache (boot) (running on the onboard controller as HD0)

    WD 120 Gig w/8meg cache (running on the onboard controller as HD1)

    WD 80 Gig w/8meg cache (running on the promise)

    1 Gig of Komusa PC-3500 memory w/
    Copper heatsinks (512 X 2)

    Solid Copper CPU heatsink w/7K rpm fan
    (can you say LOUD?)

    2 exhaust fans in the back of the case, 1
    intake fan in front of case

    Allied True Power 450 Watt power supply
    (AMD Approved list pwr supply)

    Antec Aluminum Case

    If you need any other info, post it and I will provide it.
    Thanks again,
    Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Bitsbucket

    Jim Guest

    Two things that might effect your scores are which format you are using on
    the drives and the fragmentation level.
    As for the system pausing when you look at the directories, I had seen this
    on my sons machine, it drove me nuts. It turned out to be caused by an
    uzip util that he was using, I think it might have been Stuff it but dont
    remember for sure.
    When opening directories it was slow and when trying to get the drive
    properties box open there was a several second delay.

    Jim, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Bitsbucket

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Sounds like the classic "shell enhancement" feature, only thing they
    don't tell you is your "shell" is gonna run slower with the
    enhancement. And to weed out such features, you are forced to edit an
    overbloated database file called a "registry" and tinker with 25 digit
    CLSID numbers that are totally greek even to informed users. Isn't
    windows great, lol.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Bitsbucket

    Ben Pope Guest

    Hi, sorry didn't get the original post...

    Hard drives have always been a bottleneck and continue to be so. A pause
    when opening "my computer" is usually caused by an optical drive waking up,
    spinning up the disc and then reading the directory.

    If you're getting significant pauses when viewing directories on hard drives
    then you either have directory caching turned off (unlikely) or as
    previously mentioned... shell enhancements that don't behave too well. I
    found that the one for Windows Media Player that shows a preview of the clip
    onthe left is a right pain - made winamp skip when playing MP3s.

    All your minimum speeds look really low... I know when benching you can get
    a momentary dropout but it still seems quite low. Average read speeds are
    ok though, so I can only presume that any low read speed is only encountered
    rarely.

    Thats close enough.

    Well... do you have any specific reason to think the Maxtor should be faster
    than the WDs?

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket Guest

    What are "shell enhancements" and how can I edit them, turn them off, or
    just generally screw with them?
    Is there some prog. I can use? Tweak UI maybe?
    Thanks
    Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Bitsbucket

    AJ Guest

    I wonder what your http://www.pcpitstop.com scores would be? I have
    two boxes running that board to post results for comparison. They also
    point out simple ways to improve a setup.

    AJ, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket Guest

    Thanks AJ I will run it later today, I am defregmenting right now to see if
    that improves things, I will be posting results, under the name I use here,
    Bitsbucket.
    Thanks
    Bitsbucket.

    Bitsbucket, Dec 7, 2003
  8. Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket Guest

    Hi Jim,
    These are EXACTLY the symptoms I am experiencing.
    I hope I can find the culprit, it's driving ME nuts too (not a long trip at
    this point either!)
    Thanks
    Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket, Dec 7, 2003
  9. Bitsbucket

    Ben Pope Guest

    Well things like winzip/winace/winrar all do it - they automatically detect
    if a file (.exe or whatever) is an archive and then gives you the options to
    extract, however, in my experience those particular ones are quite quick.
    I'm not sure of any programs that give you centralised control over the
    enhancements.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 7, 2003
  10. Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket Guest

    Well,
    Boy do I feel like a dumbass! I defragged all my drives and BOOM! everything
    is working as expected. I have never seen a fragmented drive cause this type
    of behavior. All my drives are NTFS, is that format more susceptible to
    displaying this type of behavior when fragmented? I have in the past, mostly
    used FAT32. (just for the convenience of being able to boot from a floppy
    and access files)
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    They are all greatly appreciated.
    Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket, Dec 8, 2003
  11. Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket Guest

    Oh HELL!
    Now that I rebooted, it's back to the same as it was!
    I guess I am on the right track tho......
    L8r
    Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket, Dec 8, 2003
  12. Bitsbucket

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Shell enhancements are those "extra" menu items added to your context
    sensitive "right click" menus when a GUI object is right-clicked in an
    "explorer" window (fyi, your desktop is merely a "special" version of
    an explorer window). For example, Winzip can add such features so
    that you can right click a "zip" file and see "open with winzip" or
    "extract to" and so forth. The only proper way to remove shell
    enhancements is to uninstall the program that installed the
    enhancements. I am fairly adept at programming windows, yet I'd not
    attempt to remove a shell enhancement by editing the registry.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Dec 8, 2003