A7N8X DL and SD/MMC on USB3

Discussion in 'Asus' started by EdgarV, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. EdgarV

    EdgarV Guest

    Hi,

    I have an MP3 player (with 256Mb onboard and 256Mb SD/MMC) that I
    connect to my A7N8X DL. That works fine as long as I use one of the
    four USB ports thats is already mounted on the motherboard.
    When I try to use 'USB3', which is connected to the front USB
    connectors of my Aopen case, it does not work that well anymore.
    Sometimes it looks ok (but I then get I/) errors), other times the 2
    mass storage drives are not even recognised.

    I then added an 6 in 1 card reader to my system. It also included USB,
    firewire and audio. I connected the USB cables of this reader to the
    same USB3 connector on the motherboard. When I now connect the MP3
    player to the USB port, the results are similar.
    I removed the MMC/SD card from my MP3 player and inserted it in the
    6in1 reader. Similar results! Impossible to copy files to or from the
    SD/MMC card.

    Is USB3 different from the other two USB hubs on this motherboard? And
    how to explain this strange behaviour?

    Edgar

    EdgarV, Dec 6, 2003

  2. EdgarV

    Mike Miller Guest

    Are you hooking up all the wires from the case or just 8 of them? I had to
    hook up the "extra" ground wire to get the fronts to work correctly. This
    was on a different case than yours though.

    mike in montana

    Mike Miller, Dec 6, 2003

  3. EdgarV

    EdgarV Guest

    Both the case's USB connectors I used initially and the 6in1 reader
    have 2 pairs of 4 wires for USB. I do not have the feeling this is the
    issue.

    EdgarV, Dec 7, 2003
  4. EdgarV

    AJ Guest

    A little known fact is a USB device is only loaded on the slot you
    first installed it on. Some devices have ways of dealing with this
    issue but many do not. Someone may reply that this info is false and
    they have never had this trouble but YMMV.

    AJ, Dec 7, 2003