    connection". Any help in this regard from others who have enjoyed
    success with Mandrake 9.1 would be appreciated. BTW, the sound worked
    right off the bat w/o the RPM update from Nvidia, so no problem there.

    Kyle Brant, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Kyle Brant

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Always love to be able to answer my own question, so here are my
    findings:

    Mandrake 9.1 setup my new Linux install to use the SMP kernel as
    default LILO booted Linux OS, and it appears to boot and run OK.
    However, the Nforce drivers in the precompiled RPM package for
    Mandrake 9.1 do not work with the SMP kernel, rather, they work with
    the non-SMP kernel. My onboard Nvidia NIC works nicely now.

    I suspect to get things to work with the SMP kernel, one would have to
    install the kernel sources for the SMP kernel and any other required
    packages, d/l the tar'd Nforce driver sources and build those drivers
    in accordance with the instructions on the Nvidia site for the Linux
    drivers.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Kyle Brant

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Further to the mystery, it appears Mandrake setup the SMP kernel as
    default OS b/c I have APIC enabled in the BIOS, this info provided by
    another user at the nforcersHQ forums.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    | Always love to be able to answer my own question, so here are my
    | findings:
    |
    | Mandrake 9.1 setup my new Linux install to use the SMP kernel as
    | default LILO booted Linux OS, and it appears to boot and run OK.
    | However, the Nforce drivers in the precompiled RPM package for
    | Mandrake 9.1 do not work with the SMP kernel, rather, they work with
    | the non-SMP kernel. My onboard Nvidia NIC works nicely now.
    |
    | I suspect to get things to work with the SMP kernel, one would have
    | install the kernel sources for the SMP kernel and any other required
    | packages, d/l the tar'd Nforce driver sources and build those
    drivers
    | in accordance with the instructions on the Nvidia site for the Linux
    | drivers.
    |
    | --
    | Best regards,
    | Kyle
    |
    | | | OK, I'm fairly computer literate, have had 2 other distros of
    Linux
    | up
    | | and running fine on other hardware (and networked) and I read
    where
    | | others have made this board work (substantially) with Linux, but
    for
    | | the life of me, I can't get the Nforce NIC to work properly. I've
    | | installed the latest RPM from the nvidia web site for Mandrake
    9.1,
    | | yet the NIC driver does not get installed and initialized
    correctly.
    | | Harddrak tells me it sees the NIC when doing it's hardware search,
    | but
    | | the networking setup wizard fails (actually loops until I choose
    | some
    | | options to make it quit) when I try to setup the NIC for "LAN
    | | connection". Any help in this regard from others who have enjoyed
    | | success with Mandrake 9.1 would be appreciated. BTW, the sound
    | worked
    | | right off the bat w/o the RPM update from Nvidia, so no problem
    | there.
    | |
    | | --
    | | Best regards,
    | | Kyle
    | |

    Kyle Brant, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Kyle Brant

    Ben Pope Guest

    I've had a bit of a play with Gentoo on this board and found that Kernel 2.6
    is pretty good with this board, but APIC and/or ACPI were causing randim
    lockups, usually on high IDE activity.

    I tend to compile APIC and ACPI into the kernal then use acpi=off and noapic
    (or is that noacpi and apic=off?)

    One of the ways of turning off ACPI allow some of it's functionality without
    causing problems, if you want the options, let me know I'll boot to Linux.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Kyle Brant

    Kyle Brant Guest

    | Kyle Brant wrote:
    | > Further to the mystery, it appears Mandrake setup the SMP kernel
    as
    | > default OS b/c I have APIC enabled in the BIOS, this info provided
    by
    | > another user at the nforcersHQ forums.
    |
    | I've had a bit of a play with Gentoo on this board and found that
    Kernel 2.6
    | is pretty good with this board, but APIC and/or ACPI were causing
    randim
    | lockups, usually on high IDE activity.
    |
    | I tend to compile APIC and ACPI into the kernal then use acpi=off
    and noapic
    | (or is that noacpi and apic=off?)
    |
    | One of the ways of turning off ACPI allow some of it's functionality
    without
    | causing problems, if you want the options, let me know I'll boot to
    Linux.

    | Ben

    Mandrake decided acpi was a no-no, and set acpi=no in the kernel boot
    lines with Lilo. The command switch is "noapic" in the boot line for
    APIC. More than likely, ACPI was the source of your problems.
    Running "cat /proc/interrupts" gave me feedback that the APIC was not
    being used. I note there is a "force apic" option, may see what that
    does, hehe.

    Kyle Brant, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Kyle Brant

    Tocapet Guest

    The A7N8X Dlx has dual lan ports. I got mine to work in Mandrake 9.2 by
    switching to the OTHER port. The
    3Com one.

    Tocapet

    Tocapet, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Kyle Brant

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Yes, I agree the 3com should work ok, but being a purist, I wanted the
    Nvidia NIC to work, b/c I have a dual boot system, and win2k uses the
    Nvidia NIC, and I did not want to use another net cable or switch the
    cable around.

    If anyone has problems with the Nvidia NIC, such as after a kernel
    recompile nvnet no longer works or does not install correctly using
    RPM (which is the case after I make a custom kernel), simply d/l and
    untarr the Nvidia kernel tarr file:

    http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nforce/1.0-0261/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0
    261.tar.gz

    and find the nvnet folder where the nvnet driver is, and do:

    cd /-some-path-to-Nvidia drivers-/nvnet
    make
    make install

    and the nvnet device driver will be loaded and running and you can
    then use Mandrake's Hardware setup wizard in X to configure the
    device.

    I'm playing with kernel stuff trying to get the ATI Opengl driver and
    the nvgart driver loaded and working correctly (no success as yet, any
    tips here appreciated, X works ok and I have fxglr loaded but running
    opengl programs locks up X on me, still haven't found the perfect
    advice on getting this all to work correctly). I note that after each
    kernel compile, I have to make and reinstall the Nvidia driver using
    the above technique.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    | The A7N8X Dlx has dual lan ports. I got mine to work in Mandrake
    9.2 by
    | switching to the OTHER port. The
    | 3Com one.
    |
    | Tocapet

    | > as
    | > by
    | > |
    | > | I've had a bit of a play with Gentoo on this board and found
    that
    | > Kernel 2.6
    | > | is pretty good with this board, but APIC and/or ACPI were
    causing
    | > randim
    | > | lockups, usually on high IDE activity.
    | > |
    | > | I tend to compile APIC and ACPI into the kernal then use
    acpi=off
    | > and noapic
    | > | (or is that noacpi and apic=off?)
    | > |
    | > | One of the ways of turning off ACPI allow some of it's
    functionality
    | > without
    | > | causing problems, if you want the options, let me know I'll boot
    | > Linux.
    | > |

    Kyle Brant, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Kyle Brant

    Andrew Guest

    So use the 3Com NIC in Windows as well.

    Andrew, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Kyle Brant

    Tocapet Guest

    I have a TRIPLE-BOOT system.
    Mandrake 9.2/Win98SE/WinXPproSP1. and I use the
    3Com port on all 3 systems. Works great.

    Tocapet

    Tocapet, Dec 25, 2003