A7N8X Dlx SATA - Almost There!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Luxana, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Luxana

    Luxana Guest

    I just installed one SATA drive. I'm still booting off my IDE drive,
    and want to stay that way.

    The drive shows up in the BIOS on bootup, it shows up in the device
    manager in Windows XP. I have the most recent RAID driver.

    BUT, the drive doesn't show up in Windows Explorer. I don't know how I
    can format, and start using it. (just for data, not for boot-up)

    Here are my quesitons:

    1) How can I format this drive and start using it?

    2) If later on I want to change my mind, and boot from the SATA drive,
    can I make that switch? Possibly Ghost my system onto it?

    A7N8X Deluxe
    Athlon XP 2200
    Windows XP SP1
    1GB RAM
    2 IDE Hard Drives, 1 SATA Drive, 1 CD-ROM

    Thanks!

    Lux

    Luxana, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Luxana

    Ben Pope Guest

    You need to partition it with fdisk or similar.
    I think Ghost is the most satisfactory solution as the drive letters work
    nicely. You simply image the drive and stick it on the SATA, then go into
    BIOS and make booting from SCSI device before IDE.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Luxana

    Jody Guest

    I'm guessing the drive has never been partitioned/formatted.

    Right Click My Computer Icon
    (if you don't have it on your desktop, go to start->right click my
    computer entry, show on desktop)
    Select Manage
    Click the option for Disk Management on the left hand side.
    You should see two frames on the right..top tells what drives are
    partitioned.
    Bottom shows current segments partitioned, and not partitioned.

    To make one big Hard Drive partition:
    Right click the 'bar' representing the unpartitioned space.

    Here, you can Format first...It will automatically assign a drive
    letter when it is done.
    There will be a few entries here..You will probably want to assign
    it as a NTFS drive (not FAT OR FAT32)..Other than that the menus
    are easy.

    Thanks,
    jody

    Jody, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Luxana

    Lane Guest

    Besides all the things said before, I can advice you to boot from the SATA
    drive (depending on the quality of the HDD). I'm having this drive in
    combination with a WD Raptor and it's really fast.
    Don't forget to change the first bootdevice (BIOS) in SCSI when you want to
    boot from SATA.

    Lane

    Lane, Nov 20, 2003