    to bite the bullet, back it up and Fdisk the drive ?

    Logic tells me this shouldn't be required but I can't think of
    anything else, the drive was perfect with my previous Soltek board.

    Dominic Shields, Jul 24, 2004

  2. [snip]

    Usenet 101: Place your entire query in the *body* of your article.
    [snip]

    So have you looked for and obtained different-version drivers? (Note
    "different-version" does not necessarily mean "latest-version"; nVidia in
    particular is rather infamous for releasing buggy drivers; so in many cases
    "downgrading" to an older version is just the ticket).
    [snip]

    What drivers (particularly video drivers) is Win2K Setup (auto-)installing,
    and is this answer the same on both cases (old drive vs. new drive)?
    [snip]

    You mean you didn't back up the data (twice even, in deference to Murphy)
    Whether theoretically "required" or not, a complete metal-up
    FDISK/FORMAT/re-install is *always* good practice when changing something as
    fundamental and extensive as the mobo.

    If you're now caught "between a rock and a hard place", I suggest getting the
    system up and running on that old 1.2GB drive; then (temporarily) install the
    Maxtor as a secondary, and back up whatever data you can get to *immediately*.
    Then, presuming you don't want the 1.2GB drive in the system long-term,
    re-install the Maxtor as the primary/sole HDD, FDISK it, and install
    everything from scratch.

    --

    Jay T. Blocksom
    --------------------------------

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
    Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
    47 USC S227 and State Law. Violators are subject to prosecution.

    Jay T. Blocksom, Jul 25, 2004

  3. Sorry, personal preference there, but if there's one thing that drives
    me spare its a subject such as "Help required" or "If".
    I have tried the ones direct from NVidia as well as the Asus ones from
    the A7N8X-E Deluxe download pages.
    Sorry, its only getting as far as the blue screen W2K setup stage
    where the details of what its doing whizz across the bottom then hangs
    when trying to start the first time.
    I have done it now as I knew I could get in with Windows 98 and back
    up as long as I didn't install the NForce drivers, just wanted to
    avoid the tedium.

    Then Fdisked the drive, same result - W2K setup dies in the same way,
    went into BIOS, selected Setup defaults then machine wouldn't even
    post, removed the battery shorted the BIOS jumpers to no avail. Still
    won't post, I must admit I wasn't surprised, am about to get a returns
    number for the board. The drive does the same thing with the non-Asus
    machine I am currently using. To paraphrase Homer Simpson : "What's
    the odds of having a faulty board and disk - millions to one"

    Thanks for your reply - appreciated.

    Dominic Shields, Jul 25, 2004
  4. [snip]

    [snip]

    Yet, it sounds like that is exactly the case here.
    You're welcome. Good luck.

    --

    Jay T. Blocksom

    Jay T. Blocksom, Aug 1, 2004