A7N8X-E Deluxe & front panel audio connections

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Clive, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. Clive

    Clive Guest

    Anyone know how I sould wire up the front panel of my case to my
    motherboard (im not interested in connecting the microphone only the
    headphone).

    From the case I have leads marked "EAR R" (1 red 1 black), "EAR L" (1
    white 1 black), GND, MIC-VCC and MIC DATA.

    On the motherboard the connections are "Line out_R", "Line out_L",
    "BLINE_OUT_R", "BLINE_OUT_L" MICPWR, +5VA, MIC2 and AGND.

    I tried connecting the "EAR R" pair to the "BLINE_OUT_R/Line out_R" and
    the same with the left channel and did indead get sound out, however it
    sounded like someone had used a "remove voice" filter on the output ie
    the music was slightly distorted and the singing almost completely
    silent.

    Any ideas?

    Clive, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Clive

    Paul Guest

    MIC_DATA x mic2 agnd x GND
    MIC-VCC x micpwr +5va x (no connection)
    EAR_R x line_out_r bline_out_r x
    (no connection) x nc
    EAR_L x line_out_l bline_out_l x

    If you can find a way of connecting line_out_r to bline_out_r while
    the EAR_R wire is connected, then sound will also be available on the
    computer's rear (lime) line out connector. Same for connecting
    bline_out_l to line_out_l. Maybe that is why you are telling us
    there are two wires on each EAR signal ? So they can be used to
    jumper line_out to bline_out on each channel ?

    The MIC-VCC wire connection to "micpwr" ensures that electret or
    a passive monophonic microphone will work. "micpwr" is connected
    to +5V via a 1K ohm or 2K ohm current limiting resistor, and
    electret microphones apparently only need microamps of current
    to work. An electret microphone gives about 20dB more signal than
    a passive microphone. If you use a passive, you'll need to crank
    up the gain via the "microphone boost" button. The wiring on a
    computer mic jack should be:

    Tip = Mic-Input (passive or electret input)
    Ring = Mic-Pwr (with a voltmeter, you'll see +5V wrt the ground)
    Sleeve = Ground

    As for the funny sound, it could be due to running the speaker
    system in a four or six speaker mode, instead of two speaker mode.
    This filters some of the content and sends it to the other speakers,
    to give a good sound "image". Other possibilities are that there
    is an equalizer in the mixer panel, and it is adjusted away from a
    0 dB (passthrough) type setting. You might also look to see if
    some special effects have been enabled.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 22, 2003