    think, as i changed a setting with wpcredit and wpcrset.

    Its pretty much the same with all A7N8X motherboard or so i hear, but with
    no clear solutions.

    Tony, Feb 22, 2006

  2. Tony

    Paul Guest

    Maybe the frequency of the Vcore regulator has dropped into the
    audible frequency range, due to the lack of load from the
    idling CPU ?

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 22, 2006

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    with my motherboard it is the opposite, when in high load like when playing
    Battlefield 2 it will sometimes start.

    Doesnt wpcrset set it so that the cpu is idle more also? as my idle temp is
    now 30~ degrees, before it was hardly any different from load

    Tony, Feb 22, 2006
  4. Tony

    Egil Solberg Guest

    My experience from setting wpcredit register so that FSB can disconnect, and
    CPU can enter lower power state was crackling sound from soundcard and I
    think I remember a hum like you describe.
    I did this on two mobos, one with VIAKT266A and one with nforce2. The VIA
    machine didn't like it at all.

    I think it's not worth it. If it was, the register would have been set up
    by BIOS by default.

    The registerchange does not make the CPU idle more often, if it was, you
    would effectively reduce the performance of your CPU. Downclocking and
    undervolting will be a better way to achieve that.
    With that in mind, issuing the bus disconnect signal and coming in and out
    of different powerstates take time, and you will take a performance hit. If
    it's enough to notice, I don't know.

    Egil Solberg, Feb 22, 2006
  5. Hi, im wondering if anyone has this board and hears a high pitched
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetostriction

    Sometimes the toroid cores of the onboard voltage converters
    make an audible high frequency noise
    when the wires are not wound really tight onto them.

    Try to find the source with a tube at your ear.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stethoscope

    You can fix the cores with some glue.

    Friedrich Wuelfing, Feb 22, 2006
  6. Tony

    Kyle Guest

    | In article <dthlqo$s6d$2surf.net>, "Tony"
    |
    | > Hi, im wondering if anyone has this board and hears a high pitched
    | > screetching on the motherboard, it only happens at certain temps
    now i
    | > think, as i changed a setting with wpcredit and wpcrset.
    | >
    | > Its pretty much the same with all A7N8X motherboard or so i hear,
    but with
    | > no clear solutions.
    |
    | Maybe the frequency of the Vcore regulator has dropped into the
    | audible frequency range, due to the lack of load from the
    | idling CPU ?
    |
    | Paul

    I believe the frequency of the switched mode PS circuit is fixed, but
    the loading by the CPU on the circuit can change the PCM waveform
    driving the mosfets and subsequently the coils. Specific PCM
    waveforms may create suitable harmonics that match up or are near
    mechanical harmonics of the toroidal coils causing audible vibrations
    and high pitched noise. Just a swag on my part.

    Kyle, Feb 23, 2006
  7. Tony

    Stephen Guest

    I have heard that after the CPU was pedalling very hard for a while.

    I assumed it was an inbuilt temperature alarm. However I'd like to be able
    to get it to turn off without need to reboot.

    Stephen, Mar 2, 2006
  8. Tony

    Michael Guest

    I noted a high pitched noise that comes and goes after I tried
    unsuccessfully to o/c my XP2500+.

    Michael, Mar 4, 2006
  9. Tony

    Eapzy

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have the same motherboard and recently got my computer up and running again (needed a new hard drive) and now it makes a high pitched squeel almost all the time.

    If i use a cardboard tube to isolate where it's coming from it definitely sounds like the CPU. It isn't the fan however because i have replaced that and tried it with it off(also it doesn't sound like the sort of noise that would come from a fan, more like the noise an old broken monitor would make... or like a television but intensified).

    it actually hurts my ears and is horrible.

    Eapzy, Jun 26, 2006