a7n8x-e deluxe rear panel speaker outputs dead?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by pc macdonald, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. pc macdonald

    pc macdonald Guest

    BIOS 1008
    Mainboard rev 2.xx
    WXP PRo latest packs as of 031229
    DirectX 9 (4.09.00.0902)
    Nvidia audio driver 6.14.0362.0
    Enermax 350 watt supply
    brand new system

    I can't seem to get audio out of the rear speaker port (the GREEN one)
    in any speaker configuration mode. Put in a cd-rom, play a cdrom.
    See it on the MAIN output screen, hear it fine on front panel audio
    output. Play with all the controls. BIOS set to AUTO for internal
    audio.

    I'm dumbstruck. Do I have a bad board?

    I also can't get the microphone to work on either the rear or front
    panel.

    I've done LOTS of this before. It isn't supposed to be this
    difficult...

    Suggestions?

    tanks.

    pc

    pc macdonald, Dec 31, 2003

  2. pc macdonald

    Steve D Guest

    i have same board...mine works fine with no tweaking...i would flash bios
    (if you havent already) and if that doesn't work return the mobo.
    Steve

    Steve D, Dec 31, 2003

  3. pc macdonald

    Fiddler Guest

    You cannot have front audio out and audio out on the green socket at the
    same time.

    Fiddler, Dec 31, 2003
  4. pc macdonald

    pc macdonald Guest

    Thanks for your reply. What BIOS are yhou running???

    pc macdonald, Dec 31, 2003
  5. pc macdonald

    pc macdonald Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    How did you come to this conclusion? Do you have this board? The
    manual says nothing about this (... we all know how valuable that
    insight is...), nor is there a jumper to enable/disable the front
    panel in/out pins.

    It isn't a technical problem if the front panel ins/outs are properly
    buffered (electronically isolated), they'll all work fine
    simultaneously.

    At any rate, just for laughs, I disconnected the front panel leads
    from the MOBO pins. Same story, no sound out the back panel.

    pc macdonald, Dec 31, 2003
  6. pc macdonald

    Fiddler Guest

    I do have this board

    Fiddler, Dec 31, 2003
  7. pc macdonald

    Ed Guest

    Not sure about the deluxe mobo but mine has two jumpers on that header
    to enable the rear speakers.

    FP_AUDIO1 -> ::|.|

    Ed

    Ed, Dec 31, 2003
  8. pc macdonald

    Student Guest

    same here.

    Student, Jan 1, 2004
  9. pc macdonald

    Fiddler Guest

    Not on the Deluxe it seems................
    I have the A7N8X Deluxe and there are no jumpers for that, only the header
    pins.

    Fiddler, Jan 1, 2004
  10. pc macdonald

    Fiddler Guest

    Have just looked at the latest manual for that board and there are jumper
    caps on the front audio out pins.
    It would say the best thing to do first is check if there are jumpers on the
    pins and read the instructions in the manual.

    Fiddler, Jan 1, 2004
  11. pc macdonald

    pc macdonald Guest

    I forgot to put the jumpers back on inside after I pulled the wires --
    DUH.

    Yep. Can't have both active. It's working now.

    I don't know why they didn't allow both since the alternate outputs
    would be a convenient place to plug in a set of headphones.

    Thanks to all for the inputs (pun intended.)

    pc macdonald, Jan 1, 2004
  12. pc macdonald

    Fiddler Guest

    Get a FRONTEX mulimedia panel, that way you can have rear audio or front
    audio and when you plug headphones in, the normal speaker mute.

    Fiddler, Jan 1, 2004
  13. pc macdonald

    Ed Guest

    Well if the rears cut out only when the head phones are plugged in then
    you just swap out that head phone jack for a non switching type, or if
    you can get to connections on the back of the jack you could just solder
    it up so the head phones won't cut the rears off. You wouldn't be the
    first one who's done it to an A7N8X. ;p

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Jan 1, 2004
  14. pc macdonald

    Fiddler Guest

    The front audio out jacks are only connected to the board.
    There are no wires from the jacks to the normal rear mounted audio out
    jacks.
    When front audio out jack is connected to the board there is no switching of
    any sort.
    The front jack is supposed to just connect the audio to phone or speakers.
    The BLINE_OUT R and BLINE_OUT L do not link the front audio out jack to the
    rear normal audio out jack.
    It's front jack or rear(normal)jack or nothing.
    There is no way to connect rear jack and front jack so that you can have
    both.
    "Well if the rears cut out only when the head phones are plugged in"
    They don't as the rears are not connected if the front one is as the header
    is for front jack or no front jack.
    jumper caps decide if it is rear normal jack or front.

    Fiddler, Jan 1, 2004
  15. pc macdonald

    Fiddler Guest

    There have to be caps on 2 jumpers of the "front panel audio connector"
    (10-1 pin connector); look if there are caps on the "Lineout_R/Bline_OUT_R"
    and
    Line out_L/BLINE-OUT_L" jumpers, if you dont use front panel speakers.

    the jumpers link onboard audio to rear normal jack so to get front audio you
    have to remove them to connect fron jack to the pins.
    So as you see, it is front audio or rear jack, not both.

    Fiddler, Jan 1, 2004
  16. pc macdonald

    Ed Guest

    Screw the jumpers! A little wire, the right jacks and you can wire
    anything up, or at least I can, ;p

    Gave fun!
    Ed

    Ed, Jan 1, 2004
  17. pc macdonald

    Fiddler Guest

    Sure, why not...........
    thats as good as being told you can't open a door from the inside when you
    are outside.

    Fiddler, Jan 1, 2004