A7N8X-E Deluxe - SATA for HDDs + IDE for DVD-ROM & DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Richard Harrison, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. I'm in the process of assembling the bits for a new PC, and doing the
    research...

    I decided to go for the best spec of the 'old' technology - so have got
    myself a A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo and XP3200+ Barton (400 FSB). I'd like to
    stick with a similar setup to one I'm using now on my old KT7A-RAID:

    SATA 1 - 80GB (8MB cache) Samsung Spin-Point (nice 'n quiet!) [boot drive]
    SATA 2 - ditto, no raid - WXP Swap File, PhotoShop Scratch Disk, other data
    IDE1 - DVD-ROM
    IDE2 - DVD-RW

    With my old system, I found that keeping the four drives on separate
    channels (each as master) eliminated all corruption events and maximised
    transfer/access speeds.

    Advice/experience please:

    1. I understand, from reading a number of forums and ASUS's FAQs, that the
    SATA drives automatically take priority - with the first logical drive on
    SATA 1 being assigned C: etc. - is this your experience?

    2. I assume I have to enable the SATA channels with the jumper on the mobo,
    but do I have to install the Silicon Image drivers at all if I'm not going
    to use the RAID functions? In other words, will WXP see the SATA drives
    without any SI drivers installed?

    3. Any advice on memory choice would be welcome - I planned to buy 2x 512MB
    sticks of Corsair CAS2 Platinum PC3200 and run at standard full speed in
    'Dual' mode. Anyone comment on compatibility?

    4. I'm also looking for a quiet/efficient CPU cooler - the Zalman
    CNPS7000A-Cu seems to fit the bill, but anyone have experience of it fouling
    anything on the A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo?

    All help/advice gratefully received...

    Richard Harrison, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Richard Harrison

    Natéag Guest

    ">
    That is not correct. In Boot order, SATA (Identified as SCSI, on that
    board)
    has to be selected as first boot drive. IDE or any orther device second,
    etc.

    If you want to install the Operating System on that board, answer is YES.
    Otherwise Windows Install will not see it.
    Do not know about Corsair. I have Kingston 3200 400 Mhz. They are fully
    compatible.
    No experience there. But I use the CPU cooler that came with the CPU.

    Natéag, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Richard Harrison

    Paul Guest

    The Zalman has a radius of 55mm from the center of the processor die.
    The socket on the A7N8X-E is close to the top of the motherboard.
    There has to be somewhere around 8 or 9mm space between the top
    edge of the motherboard and the case of the power supply. Otherwise
    the fins on the heatsink will bump into the PSU.

    To measure this in advance, take the picture of the motherboard
    in the downloadable PDF version of the manual, into Photoshop. Use
    the spacing between the pins on the socket as a yardstick for
    dimensioning purposes. That is how I figured out the clearance
    required, but you should verify the number for yourself.

    Computer cases vary from providing just 1mm clearance between
    motherboard and PSU, to 15mm in one case.

    The AlCu version is a bit lighter and cools about the same as
    the pure Cu version.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Richard Harrison

    Ben Pope Guest

    Mine worked fine, I have TwinX1024-3200LL. I increased the voltage to 2.7V
    and managed 225MHz stable at 2-2-2-7 timings.

    So even if you have issues... up the VDimm and set the timings, no big deal.
    I advise doing that anyway, at least you'll then know what it's doing.

    There were known problems with Corsair, some of their modules had incorrect
    SPD info, but that was some time ago now.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Richard Harrison

    Ben Pope Guest

    You shouldn't get corruption.
    Well it's determined by the boot order, if you set SATA above IDE then
    Windows will tend to name the SATA drives first.
    Dunno. I doubt it, but some say to the contrary. Just whack the drivers on
    floppy and install them with F6 on start of setup.
    See my other reply. You should be fine.
    Nope, using a Coolermaster Aero7+

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 1, 2004
  6. Thanks to all who replied, some directly.

    I've got the board and, when the (replacement!) Nexus Breeze case arrives,
    I'll see if I've got enough room between the ZIF socket and the PSU to fit
    the Zalman cooler - otherwise, I might try the Nexus cooler.

    I've been doing a lot of reading around probs with Corsair PC3200 memory and
    the A7N8X (-E) Deluxe mobos in Dual Channel mode - seems you've got to
    increase the mem volts to 2.7 and the timings manually to get it to work
    reliably with a Barton 3200+ at 400MHz.

    Any other info on what I'm planning would be gratefully received.

    Thanks all

    Richard Harrison, Jul 1, 2004
  7. Richard Harrison

    Helen Zass Guest

    Anybody having trouble with a Plextor DVD Burner running smoothly with the
    A7N8X-Deluxe boards, Plextor tech support said they have had alot of
    trouble with the Nvidia chip sets

    Helen Zass, Jul 2, 2004
  8. Richard Harrison

    mitchd Guest

    I have a Plextor DVD writer, PX-708A, no problems at all. I have one
    EIDE driver, master on channel 1, and the Plextor as a master on
    channel 2.

    mitchd, Jul 6, 2004