A7N8X-E Deluxe Vid Problem

Discussion in 'Asus' started by TaZMAn, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. TaZMAn

    TaZMAn Guest

    Hope someone can help me. Tearing my hair out.
    I have a Rev. 2 board running Win98 SE
    Installed a MSI FX-5200 video card.
    No other periphials installed except for hard drive and Cd rom.
    My problem is that the video card works but not with any accelerator
    drivers like DirectX 9 (installed) and the Nvidia screen shows it as a
    AGP card running in PCI mode.
    I used the Nvidia Detonator drivers for the card and used the Nvidia
    motherboard drivers from the Cd that came with my motherboard.
    I also installed the Microsoft update that was on my Asus Cd.
    Not sure what bios the motherboard is running but I do remember seeing a
    date of Dec. 2003 on the screen.

    I even reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled Win98 and still the same
    problem.

    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Taz

    TaZMAn, Feb 16, 2004

  2. TaZMAn

    Paul Guest

    How do the entries in the Device Manager look ? Any "unknown" devices
    or funny entries ? Is it possible you used a set of chipset drivers
    meant for another OS and they didn't "take" ?

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 16, 2004

  3. TaZMAn

    DAN Guest

    Have you configured the bios for AGP card.
    TOM......

    DAN, Feb 16, 2004
  4. TaZMAn

    Steven L Cox Guest

    Just curious but why Win98? You'd probably not be having this problem
    with 2K/XP...

    -s-

    Steven L Cox, Feb 16, 2004
  5. TaZMAn

    dino Guest

    how much memory??..I had an issue like that when I put in my Ti4200....I had
    768 meg of ram and putting in the Ti made me edit the sys.ini file to
    recognize all my mem. Then the accelerator problem went away.

    dino, Feb 16, 2004
  6. TaZMAn

    TaZMAn Guest

    Bios is set for AGP 8X
    The device manager is clear. No unknown items. The video display adapter
    shows the driver as the Nvidia driver I downloaded.
    All the drivers are Win98 flavor.
    One thing I did notice was that I saw no agp bridges in the device
    manager. All were listed a pci slots.

    Why Win98? It's the OS I happen to own.I've tried XP and don't like it
    at all.
    But I will be dual booting into linux once I get this problem solved.

    Thanks,
    Taz

    TaZMAn, Feb 16, 2004
  7. TaZMAn

    Ed Guest

    Did you install the Nforce mobo drivers?

    Ed, Feb 16, 2004
  8. TaZMAn

    Paul Guest

    On an Intel board I've got, it is possible to install either a PCI
    chipset driver for AGP or an AGP chipset driver. (There is an option
    in the Intel INFs to dump all the install files into a folder, and
    you can pick the one you want to install out of there.) Now, maybe
    if you delete the PCI AGP driver, you can upgrade to an AGP (gart)
    driver. Problem is, I don't know anything about how easy it is to
    get at components inside an Nvidia installer, so I don't know
    if you can do that or not with the Nforce2.

    I just downloaded this file from the Asus download page:

    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/nf2/nf2_v264_9x.zip

    There is a GART folder with a miniport driver in it. There is also
    what looks like an uninstaller (nvugart.exe) and maybe that has
    something to do with cleaning up the registry.

    What is interesting, is I don't see a PCI bridge driver in that
    download, so I wonder where your current bridge driver came from ?

    As for Win98SE, I've got it on a couple of machines, and it doesn't
    crash. What more can you ask for ? Win98SE would be a better choice
    for machines that don't have a lot of RAM, and there are many old
    motherboards that just cannot take a lot of RAM. I did a WinXP
    install for a relative, before Christmas, and it doesn't crash
    either. I didn't see anything in it that made me want to run out
    and upgrade :) I didn't like the default UI and switched it back
    to that "classic" look (Start menu looks like Win98 now).

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 16, 2004
  9. TaZMAn

    TaZMAn Guest

    Thanks for all your help and advice.
    I am using 512megs of Ram and did load in the Nforce drivers.
    I tried something earlier today.
    I borrowed a copy of Win2000, loaded the mobo and vid drivers off the
    Cd's and it worked fine.
    Since I tried both the video drivers from MSI and Nvidia for Win98 and
    got no where I believe the mobo drivers that came on the Cd are bad.
    I will download the driver from the Asus website and see if it works.
    Will post an update just in case someone else has this problem.

    Thanks,
    Taz

    TaZMAn, Feb 17, 2004
  10. TaZMAn

    John Guest

    why would you use win98
    some time people cause there own problems!

    John, Feb 20, 2004