A7N8X-E deluxe: what IDE-SATA adapter dongles are compatible?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jeffrey Morse, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. I've been having some trouble with one brand of these, the
    Cables Unlimited FLT-7000-B, which don't seem to work well
    with the SiI 3112 RAID controllers on this MB. I've had one
    HD go bad on me with them in there, and another one became
    undetectable in Windows the morning after I had it installed,
    ran it for a few minutes, then shut down the system for the
    night.

    I've looked at Newegg, and they have the Highpoint, GWC and
    Abit ones (the Abits are out of stock right now). I also
    went to the Asus site, and they have a IDE-SATA adapter
    that says it is compatible with the P4PE, A7V8X, P4SDX,
    and P4S8X motherboards. Has anyone used this one
    successfully with an IDE drive on the A7N8X-E deluxe?
    I did read somewhere that the Abit one is compatible with
    the SiI 3112A RAID controllers.

    The drive that went bad was a 250 GB WD2500PB ATA100
    that was a second RMA (recertified) replacement, while
    the more recent one is a Maxtor 250 GB ATA133. I
    originally had that one in an external firewire
    enclosure, and I put it back in there again, and it
    spun up and was detected by Windows. So I'm out only
    a pair of $27.99 SATA adapter dongles, and not a
    $200 hard drive.

    Would I be better off getting a native SATA hard
    drive (when I need the storage), and leaving the
    Maxtor in the enclosure, or using one of
    the other brands of adapters to try running it
    from the SATA RAID 1 port again?

    Jeffrey Morse, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Jeffrey Morse

    peter Guest