A7N8X-E USB Ports Help/Question! Are USB 2 Drivers Needed?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jeffweho, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. jeffweho

    jeffweho Guest

    Hi,

    This is my 3rd A7N8X-E I have installed but the first I've had
    problems with the USB ports.

    I'm Having two problems:

    1. Not all my devices work in each USB port.

    2. When I connect a USB device 'hot', instead of the 'new hardware
    found' message, I get nothing and I have to reboot my PC in order for
    the device to be recognized and work.

    I'm sort of stumped as I have not had this problem on my previous two
    installations with the same board. This machine is running WinXP, but
    because it is not connected to the internet, it does not have SP-1
    installed. I don't have SP-1 installed on any of my PC's and I have no
    USB problems on them.

    On the CD that came with the motherboard, there is an option to
    install USB 2 drivers, but when I click on it, all I get is a read.me
    file with vague instructions that don't make sense.

    Just for the heck of it, I'm going to post what I see when I expand
    the USB Controllers under Device Manager in case it helps.

    NVIDIA PCI TO USB ENHANCED HOST ONTROLLER
    STANDARD OPENHCD USB HOST CONTROLLER
    STANDARD OPENHCD USB HOST CONTROLLER
    UNKNOWN DEVICE
    UNKNOWN DEVICE
    UNKNOWN DEVICE
    UNKNOWN DEVICE
    USB COMPOSITE HUB
    USB ROOT HUB
    USB ROOT HUB
    USB ROOT HUB

    No yellow or any indication of problems in device manager.

    Any help or suggestions appreciated. Hope I'm making some sense.

    jeff

    I've also noticed that when I connect my USB 2 Webcam, it will only
    allow a maximum resolution of 160x120, so I'm thinking I have no USB
    2 drivers installed at all.....but I'm lost!

    jeffweho, Feb 25, 2004