A7N8X extra USB2 headers, why USB1.1 drivers?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Alan Wright, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Alan Wright

    Alan Wright Guest

    The extra USB headers on the various A7N8X boards are supposed
    to support USB2. However, on my two different vintages of A7N8X
    motherboards (1.04 standard, 2.0 -X), and in two different cases, I
    always get USB 1.1 drivers (openHCD instead of enhanced) installed
    for these devices.

    I know this is an old often-reported problem but I have never seen
    any suggestions for fixing it, nor any real explanation. I would like
    to use my cases front connectors for USB 2 devices, but can't
    because of this problem. With one case I get device not recognized
    and with the other it works at USB1.1 speed.

    Any new insights about this problem? Does ASUS lie about what
    is actually supported by their boards? Maybe there is some secret
    registry trick to fix this?

    Note that I *can* force windows to install the enhanced driver for
    this controller, but then the device does not work at all.

    Alan

    Alan Wright, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Alan Wright

    Alan Wright Guest

    Not at all. The USB2 devices work fine in the rear slots. Moreover, since
    windows XP chooses the driver whether or not a device (or any wires at
    all) is connected, it is completely irrelevant what may or not be plugged
    into the connectors.

    Clearly the problem lies between the ASUS hardware and Windows XP.
    I've seen the same pronblem reported for other Nforce2 boards, so it
    may not be a specifically ASUS problem.

    Alan

    Alan Wright, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Alan Wright

    rstlne Guest

    They are usb 2.0. It is much more likely that the usb card in the front of
    the case doesnt allow anything to work correctly at usb2.0 speeds.

    rstlne, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Alan Wright

    Larry Guest

    Hi Alan,
    here is what your device manager should look like.
    Those "OpenHCD usb host" should be there.
    the "enhanced" tells the story.

    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

    Larry, Apr 5, 2004
  5. Alan Wright

    Rob Guest

    If one of your A7N8X boards came with the optional bracket to put 2
    additional USB ports in one of the PCI card openings you can hook it to
    the USB 5_6 header and verify if there is a problem with the case
    wiring. USB 2.0, while using the same connectors as USB 1.1, needs
    cleaner wiring, connections, ect. All this due to the higher transfer
    rates. Some wiring in cases doesn't quite meet these requirements,
    causing a 2.0 device to fallback to 1.1 or not work at all. Of course,
    you may have a board/software/device issue, so this is only one angle.
    Some other checks you might try: Do the hard mounted USB ports work at
    2.0? If not, are you running the latest nVidia drivers (3.13)?
    WinXP/2K? All Service Packs/Updates installed?

    Rob

    Rob, Apr 5, 2004