    don't want to flash unless there is a fix for this problem.. I don't know
    off hand what BIOS I have, is there one aside from the latest that is more
    stable than the others, if I were to flash it?

    JM, Apr 27, 2004

  2. JM

    Paul Guest

    Before you flash it, do you think there might be a problem with
    the power supply ? Even if ACPI wasn't working properly, and
    when you hibernated, the machine was completely shut off, the
    machine should still do a normal boot the next time you press
    the button. Maybe in fact, your +5VSB is overloaded ?

    +5VSB powers the green lED on the motherboard. Is the green
    LED lit when the machine is in its "hibernate" state ? It
    should be on, as long as the switch on the back of the
    computer is in the "ON" position and the cord is plugged
    in. If you've been switching the switch on the back to the
    "OFF" position, then that will wipe out a "sleeping" computer,
    but perhaps not a "hibernating" computer.

    Sleep is where the system state is still stored in RAM.
    The +5VSB powers the RAM on the motherboard while in this
    state. When the BIOS is awakened, it realizes the system
    state is in RAM, and it restores the program counter and
    execution carries on from where it left off.

    AFAIK, Hibernate stores system state on disk, and the BIOS
    is aware on the next boot occasion, that the system is
    hibernating, and the system image is pulled off disk again.
    I think you can completely unplug the computer in this state,
    and when you power back up and press the button, it should
    pull system state off the disk.

    If the computer boots and the BIOS checks and finds it is
    in no special ACPI state, then it will boot normally.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 27, 2004

  3. JM

    Arnie Berger Guest

    This may be way off base, but I had the same problem with an ABIT
    mobo, but same BIOS manufacturer. Try this, when you want to restart
    it, push and hold the power button in for a few seconds. I don't know
    why, but that would restart my system.

    arnie

    Arnie Berger, Apr 28, 2004
  4. JM

    JM Guest

    I suppose it's possible, but I"m running a new Enermax 450 watt power
    supply, and I only have a TV tuner card and a Geforce 4 plugged in, plus a
    USB mouse, two CD drives and two hard drives. Surely that's not too much
    for the PSU?
    Nope, the LED goes out in hibernate mode.
    Well I think the way that hibernate works from windows is different. When I
    power up after hibernating, everything looks as normal until windows starts
    could select Linux from my boot menu and boot up into Redhat just fine, and
    still restore my session next time I boot into windows.

    Maybe I'll take a look in the BIOS and see if there's some setting there
    that might affect things. It's not a big issue to have to turn off, but I'd
    almost like to get into the habit of hibernating all the time, because it
    makes booting up very fast compared with starting from scratch :)

    JM, Apr 28, 2004
  5. JM

    JM Guest

    I think I tried that, but I'll keep it in mind next time, thanks for the
    suggestion ;)

    JM, Apr 28, 2004
  6. JM

    Paul Guest

    Well, I don't hibernate, I only sleep :) If you are on
    a UPS, sleep isn't too risky.

    I guess the computer shuts down on hibernate, but the
    green LED should remain lit. I thought the green LED was