A7N8X - KVM switch and keyboard problems

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dgk, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. dgk

    dgk Guest

    I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
    only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
    2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
    minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
    complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
    there is no keyboard to log on.

    It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
    keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
    seems to work fine.

    Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
    input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
    jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
    but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.

    Any advice appreciated.

    dgk, Sep 25, 2004

  2. I have no advice I'm afraid, but I can confirm weird keyboard problems
    as well. If anything, mine are even weirder:

    I have one computer on a 4 port belkin switch which absolutely will
    not enter the BIOS detup when I hit DEL when the keyboard is connected
    through the KVM.

    I can hit other keys, and they work (for instance, I can get into the
    RAID BIOS setup screen), but no DEL key.

    However, to top off the weirdness, once booted into windows, the DEL
    key works fine, so obviously there is nothing wrong with anything :).

    How could the KVM switch know it is talking to the BIOS and not Windows?
    How could the BIOS know it is talking to a KVM switch? It is a mystery.

    Any time I want to get into the BIOS on this system, I have to
    drag in another keyboard and plug it into a USB port.
    --email: icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
    <URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

    Thomas A. Horsley, Sep 25, 2004

  3. dgk

    Sam Guest

    I use a KVM and have had no problems with that board. Personally, I'd
    blame the KVM switch, not the motherboard.

    Sam

    Sam, Sep 25, 2004
  4. dgk

    dino Guest

    I have the same issue randomly on my A7n8x-deluxe...if I unplug the KVM
    keyboard adapter and replug all is fine. I have a Trendnet KVM...so it
    appears to be a board recognition issue and not KVM. My A7N8X-X is fine with
    the KVM and I have had no other issues with it when I build systems..just my
    board.

    dino, Sep 25, 2004
  7. dgk

    dino Guest

    sorry for the multi post...said send failed

    dino, Sep 25, 2004
  8. dgk

    BobS Guest

    on my A7N8Xe deluxe, there is a choice in the BIOS to enable USB legacy
    keyboard. default is off, I believe. try changing it to on. I just flashed
    my MB to BIOS version 12, and in order to use the ALT-F2 bios flash, I had
    to use a regular keyboard plugged into the PS2 keyboard port, as my USB
    keyboard was not seen during the time period to press ALT-F2. The flash went
    perfectly, by the way. When I rebooted and looked around at some settings
    and selections, I saw the USB keyboard choice. See if this corrects your
    problem with the KVM.

    Regards,

    Bob

    BobS, Sep 25, 2004
  9. dgk

    dino Guest

    mine is on..tried that setting too...but I am using a USB to PS2
    adapter...after seeing this post am sort of glad to see I am not
    alone...possibly just another quirck of the A7N8X-Deluxe board

    dino, Sep 25, 2004
  10. dgk

    dgk Guest

    Maybe I'll just flash to the new bios in case their is some keyboard
    adjustment in it anyway. But I will enable USB and try it that way
    also. It shouldn't make a difference since it is a PS2 keyboard but
    you never know for sure.

    dgk, Sep 27, 2004