A7N8X & Maxtor 80GB

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mehbs, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. Mehbs

    Mehbs Guest

    Hi,

    I recently bought a new Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm (2MB cache) hard disk to replace
    my old 20GB Maxtor drive. However, when I ghosted the 20GB to the 80GB, I
    just got the 'Missing operating system' message instead of booting into
    Windows XP Pro. I even tried to install WinXP from scratch on the 80GB drive
    (and without the 20GB connected) but still get the same message. In the end,
    I left the 80GB as the slave and the 20Gb as the master drive, both on the
    Primary channel.

    Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there a solution? I'd like to
    make the 80GB my main drive, if possible, using Norton Ghost 2003.

    My system:

    A7N8X Rev 2.0 Mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) CPU
    Thermaltake Volcano 11 H/S+Fan
    Corsair 256MB PC2700 RAM
    Hercules ATI Radeon 9200 AGP Graphics Card
    Plextor 24x CDRW IDE
    Toshiba 6x DVD-ROM IDE
    Netgear MA311 802.11b PCI Wireless Card

    Thanks

    Mehbs

    Mehbs, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Mehbs

    Tocapet Guest

    Did you fdisk and format the 80Gdrive before you ghosted your 20G drive info
    to it?? Did you make the drive active in Fdisk? Did you reboot after
    running Fdisk? Did you know you have to use the 80G as drive 0 to be able
    to make it active?

    1: connect 80g drive as only drive, boot from Win98 rescue disk floppy
    2: run Fdisk. set up DOS partition and make active
    3. reboot
    4. Format C:
    5. shut down & connect 20g drive as drive D
    6. boot from floppy.
    7. go to Ghost directory on D: and find Read and Write
    directories in DOS.
    8: Ghost saved drive image to c:
    9. reboot from drive C:
    10 run chkdisk from WinXP pro so it will see the proper disk size.

    Ghost works best when run from DOS. You can't ghost a drive to itself..
    You can't ghost to a drive you are booted to. So, you have to ghost the 20G
    to the 80G, then copy the ghost file back to the 20G, then ghost the file to
    the 80G If you don't format the drive first, it will still work, but you
    will not be able to access it from anywhere else, like a rescue disk.

    Been there, done that.

    Tocapet

    Tocapet, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Mehbs

    Sick Willie Guest

    If you pick a drive to drive copy you can skip all those steps. You can do
    a disk to disk copy without any preparation of the target disk. The only
    time that I have seen what the original poster described is when you pick
    partition to partition, Ghost will not make the target partition active.
    However, fdisk will, even for an NTFS partition. It will even make a non-MS
    partition the active partition. Also, if you pick a partition to partition
    copy, the target partition must already exist, Ghost will not make it for
    you.

    I probably ghost 10 hard drives a week. The only time I have any trouble is
    if the result will cause a change in Windows 2000 or XP system (boot) drive
    letters. I have also had miserable results with Linux partitions.

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Mehbs

    Sick Willie Guest

    Method 1:
    1. Obtain a boot floppy with fdisk on it.
    2. Remove the 20 gig and put the 80 in its place
    3. Boot from the floppy and run fdisk.
    4. Make the XP partition active.

    If that fails to work:

    Method 2:
    1. Make the 20 gig the boot drive and remove any partition from the 80 gig
    drive using XP's disk management tool.
    2. Boot DOS from a floppy and run ghost from there.
    3. Pick drive to drive copy, with the 20 gig as the source and the 80 as
    the destination.
    4. Remove the 20 gig.
    5. Boot from the 80 gig.

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Dec 25, 2003
  5. One version of Ghost, can't remember which, needed switches if the new
    drive had a larger capacity than the old. Details on Symantec site
    took some digging out when I had this proplem.

    Peter Johnson, Dec 25, 2003
  6. Mehbs

    Max Guest

    Why don't just download the needed utility from Maxtor site to do just that.
    It worked for me on many computers I've installed.

    Max, Dec 25, 2003
  7. Mehbs

    Mehbs Guest

    I normally use the disk to disk option in Ghost when upgrading to larger
    drives and have not had a problem until now.

    Mehbs, Dec 25, 2003
  8. Mehbs

    Mehbs Guest

    Using the disk to disk copy function in Ghost is much quicker. I've been
    using Ghost since the days before it was owned by Norton/Symantec so I
    believe I have some experience & knowledge of how to use it. Also use it at
    work except it's the enterprise/corporate version. I'm just stumped by this
    problem as it's outside the scope of the usual things to try.

    Mehbs, Dec 25, 2003
  9. Mehbs

    Mehbs Guest

    Already tried Method 1. I always use a Win98 DOS bootable floppy with FDISK.
    The strange thing though is that when both drives were connected, it saw the
    20GB as is but the 80GB as 17GB?!

    As for Method 2, you can create a Ghost bootable floppy (with DR-DOS )
    through the windows program. When I initially tried disk to disk ghosting
    with the new unformatted & unpartitioned 80Gb drive, the option to choose it
    as the destination drive ws not possible (i.e. it was greyed out). However,
    after using XP's disk management tool to create partitions on the 80GB &
    formatting them, this option in ghost was then available(?). But still got
    the same 'Missing operating system' message though. =:¬(

    Mehbs, Dec 25, 2003
  10. Mehbs

    Sick Willie Guest

    DOS/Win 98 fdisk does not know about disks bigger than 60 gig. It overflows
    its (fdisk's) calculating abilities. Fdisk will still successfully make a
    partition active on a large disk. At least it does here. Just this week I
    made an 80 gig partition active after copying it off a 200 gig drive.

    As far as to why ghost wouldn't let you do a disk to disk copy without
    making a partition first, I would be stumped. It defeats the purpose of
    this action if you have to make a partition or otherwise set up the disk
    first. As far as to why you are getting the missing operating system, the
    reason is the same. There is not an active partition on the disk in
    question.

    I realize you can make a ghost boot floppy but that would not in and of
    itself mean that you had the fdisk command handy. I do this type of thing
    for a living and I have a home made boot cd with a plethora of stuff
    available on it, including the cab files for Windows 95 (some people still
    use it), Windows 98SE and Windows ME (some people even use it).

    Sick Willie

    Sick Willie, Dec 26, 2003
  11. Mehbs

    Guest Guest

    I've bought 6 maxtor drives last year, from 80 gig to 200 gig and all came
    with an
    install cd called MAXBLAST. This contains a suite of formatting tools and
    utilities to
    make partitions active etc.
    There is also a disk cloning utility .
    Was your Maxtor purchased as a retail boxed unit?? this should have been
    included free.

    Guest, Dec 27, 2003
  12. Mehbs

    Rob Guest