A7N8X - Page Fault Errors When I added a 3rd 512MB Memory Stick

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy L., Dec 24, 2003.

  1. Amy L.

    Amy L. Guest

    I have an A7N8X board that is currently loaded with 2x512MB Sticks of
    RAM in Slot 1 & 3 to utilize the dual channel feature. The frequency
    is configured for 166MHZ.

    The machine runs an application called "Webtrends Reporting Center"
    from NETIQ. It is VERY memory intensive. It runs completly fine with
    1GB of memory, but tends to slow down since it runs out of physical
    and has to dip into the pagefile a lot.

    Now I purchased a third stick of the same memory and added it into
    slot 2. Sure enough once Webtrends gets into processing with the
    1.5GB of ram I start getting the following error message in a BSOD.
    "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" - NTOSKRNL Address 80435CF2 BASE
    80400000 3ee62002

    I suspected bad ram. However, if I remove the new slot 2 chip and
    swap it with the slot 1 chip and only run the system with 1GB there is
    absolutly no problems.

    Now my questions are:

    1.) Does this still seem like a memory problem?
    2.) If I am running with three chips in the system do I have to change
    anything?
    3.) What else could be wrong?
    4.) Application problem?
    5.) General thoughts of things to try.

    Thanks
    Amy

    Amy L., Dec 24, 2003

  2. Amy L.

    Kev Guest

    You can't have dual channel mode with ram in all three slots.
    If you want to you have to have the 512's in 1 and 2 and a 1 gig one in 3

    Kev, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Amy L.

    Ron Guest

    Not correct. (Re: the manual) D/C mode will be utilized with RAM in all
    three slots.

    Amy - to address your questions in order:

    (1) Yes. Your OP was a bit ambiguous about testing the new stick. When you
    said:

    "...if I remove the new slot 2 chip and swap it with the slot 1 chip and
    only run the system with 1GB there is absolutly no problems."

    It sounds like you removed the new stick, and inserted one of the old sticks
    in slot #2...and it ran OK. Is this correct? If so, then you have not yet
    verified that the new stick is OK. What happens if you insert the new stick
    in slot #3, and leave one of the old sticks out temporarily?

    Also, I'm assuming that all three sticks are identical as to manufacturer
    and specs (?)

    (2) No.
    (3) See above
    (4) Unlikely
    (5) See above

    HTH - Let us know, OK?
    Ron

    Ron, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Amy L.

    Kev Guest

    You reckon twatface

    Kev, Dec 24, 2003
  5. Hmmmm.........my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe manual says the following on page 14:

    "NOTE: To enhance system performance, utilize dual-channel feature when
    installing additional DIMMs. You may install the DIMMs in the following
    sequence: Sockets 1 and 3 or Sockets 2 and 3 or Sockets 1, 2 and 3."

    I have to wonder who the "twatface" is now?!?!

    To the OP there are 2 notes about DIMMs on Page 13 that may or may not apply
    to your situation.

    From Page 13:

    "DIMMs with more than 18 chips are not supported" and "DIMMs with more than
    8 devices on each side of the module are not supported."

    If neither applies to your situation you might try raising the DDR Reference
    Voltage in BIOS to see if that helps to stabilize your system.

    BTW: What brand and wattage is your power supply?

    --
    callsignviper

    The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
    the right questions.

    callsignviper, Dec 24, 2003
  6. Amy L.

    kronk Guest

    Get your facts right

    kronk, Dec 24, 2003
  7. Amy L.

    kronk Guest

    "Ron" said......................
    Not correct. (Re: the manual) D/C mode will be utilized with RAM in all
    three slots.

    Why don't you get your facts right?

    kronk, Dec 24, 2003
  8. Amy L.

    kronk Guest

    Wise ASS

    kronk, Dec 24, 2003
  9. Amy L.

    kronk Guest

    You like to quote the stupid X-Files don't you.

    kronk, Dec 24, 2003
  10. Amy L.

    Ben Pope Guest

    Indeed.

    You can get Dual Channel with ANY combination of 2 or more DIMMs. Just make
    sure that one of them is n Slot 3.

    The DIMMs do NOT need to be matched in terms of manufacturer, quantity,
    speed, timings etc, they merely need to be supported by the board.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 24, 2003
  11. Amy L.

    Amy L. Guest

    Ron,

    To clairify.

    I removed the new stick from slot 2. I then removed one of the
    existing chips from slot 1. I then placed the new chip (which was in
    slot 2) into slot 1. So at this point I only have 2 chips in the
    system (the new one, and one of the old ones). I hope this makes
    sense.

    Yes, the RAM is all Kingston same part number purchased from the same
    company. Although the new 512MB was purchased approximaly one week
    later than the orginial 2.

    This is why I am hesitant to classify this as a memory problem since
    the system is working fine with the new stick and one of the old
    sticks.

    Any thoughts?
    Amy.

    Amy L., Dec 24, 2003
  12. Amy L.

    Ron Guest

    Jeepers. (Merry Christmas & thanks to those that deserve it, BTW.)

    Amy - you clarified the situation nicely. Since the RAM is all the same
    p/n, and hopefully (?) the approved type [KVR400X64]...then I think it's
    safe to assume the issue is something *other than* memory sticks.
    Unfortunately I am now at a bit of a loss. Rather than throwing out
    guesses, I'd rather defer to others who have shown themselves to be more
    knowledgeable in this arena.

    Luckily, some of those people are already following this thread. Gentlemen?

    Still watching...
    Ron

    Ron, Dec 24, 2003
  13. Amy L.

    Ron Guest

    oops - omitted the "C25" from the end of the p/n.

    Ron, Dec 24, 2003
  14. Amy L.

    Lonn Guest

    Amy,

    If you will replace the 512MB stick in slot 3 with a 1Gig stick your of the
    same type of memory, your problem will go away. I had 2 x 256 meg sticks of
    Corsair XMS memory in my A7N8X Deluxe in slots 1 and 3 and was going to add
    a 3rd 256 meg stick in slot 2, but the Tech on the Forum at Cosair said that
    if I wanted to add more memory that I should put the 2 x 256 meg sticks in
    slot 1 & 2 which are on one channel which = 512 on that memory channel and
    to put a single stick of 512Meg in the 3rd slot which is on the second
    memory channel. He said that would make 512Meg on each of the 2 channels
    for a total of 1 Gig. He said you should try to match the two channels and
    you would be less likely to have a problem.

    Lonn,

    Lonn, Dec 29, 2003