A7N8X Reports errors

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Baxter, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Baxter

    Baxter Guest

    Using the following

    A7N8X MB
    AMD 2800+
    2 x 256 Corsair PC3200
    2 IDE Hard Drives
    CD\DVD-Rom
    CD\CD-RW
    Zip Drive
    Ti4200 Video

    I'm not over clocking and memory is set to 100%

    System runs great and appears to be very stable. I can run the mem86 test
    for 12 hours with no errors, but the voice reporter on boot up says "System
    Failed memory test" about half the time. Anyboby got any clues? Is this
    voice reporter evn reliable?

    Thanks
    Bax

    Baxter, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Baxter

    S.Heenan Guest

    I've seen the same glitch on several A7N8X Deluxe boards. Disable the Post
    Reporter and set to "Halt on No Errors."

    S.Heenan, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Same thing happens on mine. Machine runs fine even after the report. I
    think the little voice in my computer is on crack.

    Scott Littlefield, Jun 24, 2003
  4. Baxter

    Bender Guest

    Me too.

    I have disabled the voice report

    Bender, Jun 24, 2003
  5. Baxter

    Nick Hancock Guest

    Hi,

    When I was building my machine (2400+ XP, 2x512MB PC2700 Infineon), I was
    also getting the same problem (more often at 133MHz than at 166MHz ???).
    Memory tests also never found any actual problems with the RAM. When I
    removed one stick of memory, the error came only infrequently, then usually
    only when I restarted from Windows (during installation of XP and software).

    Once the system was installed, I then left 2nd stick out. It ran for over a
    week week without one occurance of the problem. I then noted that I had left
    a CD in my old CD-writer. I plugged the CD into power and switched the PC on
    and I received the error message again! I thought of power supply
    immediately. Especially as I was running on a 300W PSU (a bit low for this
    board, I know, but all power lines were running stable and within tolerances
    and when WinXP was up and running it was rock solid).

    I then bought a 460W Enermax PSU. It seems to have improved things
    considerably. I have both 512MB sticks running now and I have had the
    message just once since then and this was after I hadn't used the PC for
    almost a week. I read somewhere that a stick of 128MB needs 10W, if this is
    scalable then 1GB would need 100W, which would tend to make sense of
    everthing.

    What PSU are you using?

    Cheers
    Nick