    I can then replace CPU with a Sempron.
    Also what is the maximum speed Sempron I can use given that I may have to
    upgrade RAM as well, currently using 512MB PC2700.

    Kenny, Sep 14, 2005

  2. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Kenny, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Kenny

    Paul Guest

    Perhaps "beta status" BIOS are not used to update the
    cpusupport web page ? Normally, beta BIOS do not come with
    release notes, so this case is an exception. In any case,
    if the release note says it supports Sempron, then it
    probably does.

    (Personally, I'd shop for an AthlonXP Mobile chip, like a
    2600+ XP-M, but I have no idea what issues you'd run into
    with the rev. 1.06 - it is getting hard to do research on
    stuff like that. Nforcershq.com used to be a good place to
    look, but their search engine received a "redesign", and now
    is useless for searching old postings. The Mobile chip has
    an unlocked multiplier, so you could use 200x11 if your
    board will do FSB400, or with a wire mod to get the higher
    multipliers, 166x13, or 133x16.5)

    I don't know if any company in the UK carries these or not.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ertycodevalue=507:6978&bop=and&InnerManu=1028

    This is info on doing a "wire mod".

    Select "socket view", "12.5xFSB" and "13xFSB" and compare them.
    The most significant bit of those wire mods is shown in the
    next picture. Anything 13 and above has one of the wires flipped
    one way, and 12.5 or less flips the wire the other way.

    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

    This is supposed to enable multipliers above 12.5x, if you
    are using one of the lower FSB rates. This is the signal
    that differentiates between the ability to access multipliers
    12.5x or less, or 13x or higher. When experimenting, drop the
    FSB to the lowest value until you figure it all out.

    http://img49.exs.cx/img49/8428/13multi2.jpg

    Some info on what the various bridges do on the AMD processors.
    http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Kenny

    Michael Guest

    According to the official Asus site, it supports up the the Sempron 3000.
    But then, an XP3200 is more powerful than the Sempron 3000 I believe. So
    you might as well try to find new old stock or a used XP3200+?

    Michael, Sep 19, 2005