    I am stumped. I can load NT and run NT, but thats of no help to me.
    Is there something in the bios I need to disable???

    PLEEEEEEEEASE someone show me the light!!!!

    Gotwings, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Gotwings

    rstlne Guest

    Is this some kind of joke ?
    Hi, Dont act like a moron, he posted his reason and it's a highly valid
    one..

    rstlne, Jun 25, 2003

  3. Gotwings

    test Guest

    You're out of luck. There was a patch, it was mainly for the faster
    AMD K62 series of processors, i.e. socket 7 CPUs . Even with the
    patch there is an upper limit as to how fast Win95 will run. I've
    experienced failures above the 500Mhz point, K62-500/550s, to my
    knowledge there is no fix.

    As one poster pointed out, far simpler to get an old beater box and
    run Win95 on it.

    test, Jun 25, 2003
  4. Gotwings

    Mothra Guest

    (Gotwings) wrote in
    Windows 95 is not supported on most new hardware. Try Windows 98
    (preferably the Special Edition) if you need a DOS environment. You
    could also try Windows ME, but I think that was the point at which
    microsoft started using DOS emulation instead.

    You can actually run DOS programs in Windows XP, using a special wrapper
    program that handles the sound emulation. That's if you can be bothered!

    Mothra, Jun 25, 2003
  5. Gotwings

    Gotwings Guest

    Thanks fer backing me up on this! Win 95is the ONLY WINDOWS OS that
    gives me the 16 bit dos environmet needed for this very imoprtant
    app(did I mention its important). THe pc runs 24/7 in an
    unconditioned warehouse in the midwest. So i only want to go all new
    on this box re: hardware!!

    I'm going to get an slower amd processor and see. I got the patch
    linked above but cant install it cuz windows wont run!? :)

    Gotwings, Jun 25, 2003
  6. Gotwings

    Gotwings Guest

    Not sure what the "bothered thing ='s ? but i guess, ghost onto a new
    HD, put the same mobo, in new box with new fans then i can consider
    the pc "new" as far as any problematic or potetially aging parts
    swapped out.

    Thanks all!

    Gotwings, Jun 25, 2003
  7. Gotwings

    rstlne Guest

    It's not the same however, Not if you need to load dos drivers, then dos had
    a much different way of how some things are monitor'd and used, NT, XP, 2K
    put many restrictions on "Dos" mode..

    Win 98 SHOULD be able to handle anything he needs really, If it didnt then I
    would probably opt for some form of GNU.

    Also, some highly advanced programs DONT WORK under windows (any version)..
    Just look at something like flashing your bios and the high fail rate of
    doing that from within windows.. By the arguments in this thread you should
    be able to jump into a dos window and update your bios (if you try that then
    the asus/award update program will tell you it MUST not run in that mode)
    and I have used several current communication programs that must be run in
    dos for no problems. I just dont like the idea of someone saying "Dont
    tell me to upgrade, I know my system is old but it's what I need" and tons
    of people say, Just go out and pay 300$ for some software that really isnt
    going to work..

    rstlne, Jun 25, 2003
  8. Gotwings

    me Guest

    If you are running more than 512 meg of ram you need to limit vcache to
    512 meg or vcache=524288, in the system.ini file. Also, if you have more
    than 1 gig of ram win 95 will also give you those errors. Win98se is no
    different and has the same limitations.

    me, Jun 25, 2003
  9. Gotwings

    The General Guest

    98/95 cannot run cpu > 2.1 GHz; need updated ver of ndis driver--ME ver
    will do.

    The General, Jun 26, 2003
  10. Gotwings

    me Guest

    I have 98se running an XP 3200 400 fsb just perfect. My machine does not
    even know what a blue screen is!

    me, Jun 26, 2003
  11. Gotwings

    Nom Guest

    Same question from me ?

    Nom, Jun 26, 2003
  12. Gotwings

    test Guest

    I'd find some old hardware to run this in a warehouse type setting.
    Dust, Dirt, extreme temperature swings. You new hardware won't last
    very long. They don't build it like they used to...
    You're going to have to find a processor so slow it won't run in that
    board.

    The way to apply the patch, it was small and would fit on a 1.44 Floppy
    disk, was to copy the patch in DOS mode, i.e. boot floppy, F8 then
    select Safe mode command prompt only. Then bring the unit up in safe
    mode and run the patch. Then re-start the machine.

    test, Jun 26, 2003
  13. Gotwings

    Gotwings Guest

    what a long pita this has been!! THanks fer all the input guys.
    Here's what I did to get this project on wheels and moving ahead.
    1. ghosted onto a new Hard drive
    2. transplanted the mobo/p3 processor into new box using new fans and
    new power supply.

    what this special app does is downloads a file from an as/400. The
    as400 file has pick orders for a warehouse line. ~if your order has
    52 cartons of marlboro lt box king then a lcd screen shows 52 and an
    led comes on till a picker pulls the 52 cartons and hts the button to
    kill the light.

    anyway after in win 95 it gets the file and runs a parse; it swaps
    autoexec's and reboots into pure dos, with this propietary software
    that MUST HAVE the 64k?? base memory or whatever straight dos uses,
    and the com1 port connects the pc to the picking line then. so 98/xp
    etc will allow the software to open but not in full dos where the
    software and comport can function 100% .

    Its the last version before they went to full unix basex , which would
    run us $70,000 cuz EVERYTHING would have to be upgraded so this is the
    only alternative we got.

    THanks again!

    Gotwings, Jun 26, 2003
  14. Gotwings

    rstlne Guest

    ouch
    a nice analog plc system could probably do that for less than a grand ;)

    rstlne, Jun 26, 2003
  15. Gotwings

    Bill Guest

    An option that might work is VMware.

    http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_specs.html

    Bill

    Bill, Jul 5, 2003
  16. Gotwings

    DanO Guest

    Have you tried Win98SE instead of Win95? The DOS mode should be about the
    same in both of them. Win95 is now approaching its 8th birthday! I think
    it's time we actually laid it to rest.... ;)

    DanO, Jul 6, 2003