    ALC650 - however, it seems that NFORCE2 unified drivers also installs
    an audio driver for this board...

    Dimitri

    Dimitri Souza, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Dimitri Souza

    KB Guest

    If that board has soundstorm then nVidia, if not then Realtek as there is no
    way to have soundstorm if the chip is not there.
    As far as I know that board does not have soundstorm.

    KB, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Dimitri Souza

    Ed Guest

    On my A7N8X I had the Nvidia drivers installed and all I could get
    working was the front speakers. I installed the (wdm_xxxx.exe) Realtek
    ALC650 drivers right over the Nvidia drivers, it added a RealTek control
    panel which allowed me to enable 2,4,6 speakers, added volume mixers,
    Equalizer, etc,etc..

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Dimitri Souza

    Ben Pope Guest

    As far as I'm aware, that mobo does not have the MCP-T, which means that you
    need to install the nForce package (for everything else) AND the Realtek
    ALC650 drivers for the audio.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Thanks! I'll do that!! By the way, I found out that Realtek website has a
    newer version (3.54*) than the one available on the Asus website (3.45)...

    Dimitri

    *
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

    Dimitri Souza, Jan 23, 2004
  6. I agree with you and I guess you're right. The only thing that seems a
    little odd to me is the fact that when I installed the nForce2 drivers the
    audio drivers were updated! So perhaps the MCP chip (without the "-T")
    included in this mobo has a Realtek circuitry instead a Soundstorm one...

    Dimitri

    Dimitri Souza, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Dimitri Souza

    Ben Pope Guest

    How did you ascertain that the audio drivers were updated? Do you have
    devices in device manager such as:
    "NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit..."?

    You can "install" drivers without using them :) Do you have the NVIDIA
    nForce Control Panel?

    The standard MCP doesn't have any audio gadgetry (that I'm aware of). It is
    connected to the ALC650 via the PCI bus.

    The MCP-T (on the A7N8X Deluxe, at least) uses the ALC650 for ADC and DAC
    functions only and as such does not require the Realtek driver..

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Actually I should have stated that "I guess"... ;-) The fact is that I'm not
    at home right now, but I *guess* that I saw in the Device Manager the audio
    card driver being listed as "nvidia something". But as I don't trust my
    memory, probably you're right... As soon as I arive home tonight, I'll check
    what ".sys" is being used as driver for the sound system...

    Thanks!
    Dimitri

    Dimitri Souza, Jan 23, 2004