A7N8X-X memory limits

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Adam S, May 17, 2004.

  1. Adam S

    Adam S Guest

    Hi,

    I am in the process of building a couple of PCs based on the Asus A7N8X-X
    motherboard, one has 512MB of PC3200 the other has 1GB of PC2700. The one
    with 1GB will not POST past where it counts the memory.

    I have a 1GB stick of PC2700 memory and one stick of 512MB PC3200.

    From the Asus website it says that 3GB of memory is the maximum, unless you
    are using PC3200 where a 2GB limit is imposed. As there are three dimm slots
    I assumed that I could put three x 1GB sticks of PC2700 in there to get the
    3GB max, hence I brought a single stick of 1GB so that it left the maximum
    slots free for upgrades at a later date.

    Have I miss read the specs on the motherboard and will each slot only take
    512MB, unless I use PC2100?

    The motherboard manual says to check the website for compatable PC3200
    memory but does not mention a limit on each dimm slot.

    Does anyone know if there is more information on memory capacity for this
    board anywhere?

    Adam S

    Adam S, May 17, 2004

  2. Adam S

    Nero Guest

    Max 1 Gig in each slot unless using pc3200 and then the 2 gig max thing as
    far as I know.

    Nero, May 17, 2004

  3. Adam S

    Adam S Guest

    --

    Just spoken to the tech sopport at Scan (where I brought the bits) who
    immediately said I needed a refund as the memory is not compatable with this

    Each slot is capable of taking 1GB of any speed memory, giving a limit of
    3GB, unless PC3200 is used where 2GB is the limit as you can only use 2 of
    the memory slots.

    However if a 1GB stick of memory is used it MUST be 256x32 in order for it
    to work and the memory I have brought is 512x16. Not quite sure what this
    means except that one costs £100 the other £300, guess which one I need :-(

    Looks like my best cost effective option is to buy 2x 512MB PC2700 at the
    moment.

    Adam S

    Adam S, May 17, 2004
  4. Adam S

    Paul Guest

    Buying 1GB DIMMs is problematic. There is plenty of cheap, bad
    product out there. It is unclear to me, exactly what kind of
    motherboard that memory would every work in. I think it is a
    jolly scam to collect a "restocking fee", when all customers
    return their purchases. Sellers of the cheap memory are none
    too honest about what they are selling.

    1GB DIMMs can be constructed using "stacked" RAM. This has
    double the loading of a normal memory stick, and there is the
    odd design that supports it. Visit the Mushkin.com site, as
    they sell a stacked product, and are honest and up-front about
    how well it works. They have a 1GB compatibility web page, with
    examples of configurations they have been successful with.

    http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushkin.storefront/******/Product/View/990925

    To use the link above, visit the main address first, then click
    "DDR SDRAM", and the web site will insert a custom cookie in
    place of the ******. Copy that fresh cookie string, plus my URL
    above, and build your own URL, replacing my ****** with the
    cookie. The cookie looks like this 40a877cd01f3f6402740c0a80102067f
    and is stale in an hour or two.

    To see some real 1GB DIMMs, use the search engine on web sites
    like Kingston.com or Crucial.com and see what they offer. You'll
    notice a much higher asking price, but at least they don't use
    stacked ram.

    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...sp?SysID=+15609+&distributor=0&submit1=Search
    KVR333X64C25/1G 1GB 333MHz DDR PC2700 DIMM CL2.5 $298.00 US
    http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR333X64C25_1G.pdf

    If you look at the Kingston spec sheet, it talks about 64Mx8
    chips. These are the good ones, an honest single die memory
    chip, with a price to match. The construction of the module
    is very similar to a 512MB double sided DIMM (which uses
    32Mx8 memory chips), only using a 64Mx8 part.

    Crucial has three modules at the 1GB level:

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...ards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=A7N8X-X&submit=Go

    CT12864Z335 1GB DDR PC2700, CL=2.5, Unbuffered, Non-parity, DDR333 $271.99
    CT12864Z40B 1GB DDR PC3200, CL=3, Unbuffered, Non-parity, DDR400 $389.99

    With those kinds of prices, it is easy to see why people base
    their machines on 512MB modules.

    If I go to Pricewatch.com and shop by price, 1GB PC2700 starts at $99
    and 1GB PC3200 starts at $130. Quite a difference from the two
    companies above, and to me, a dead giveaway of a "stacked" module.

    Just for a laugh, try the 1GB module in DIMM slot 3, as that is the
    best slot for a single DIMM configuration. Slot 3 is the one furthest
    from the processor. Sometimes it makes a slight difference.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, May 17, 2004
  5. Adam S

    Adam S Guest

    Already tried it in all three slots and no joy in any of them.

    Thanks for the info on 'cheap' memory vs 'proper' memory, now I know a bit
    more about why it does not work and I won't be so easily caught next time.

    Adam S

    Adam S, May 17, 2004
  6. Adam S

    S.Heenan Guest

    Try the 1009 BIOS. Place RAM in the slot closest to the CPU. Set Halt On to
    "No Errors". Disable SPD and set relaxed memory timings manually. Run
    memory at less than 166MHz to start; 133 should be fine. If it boots, go
    from there.

    S.Heenan, May 17, 2004
  7. Adam S

    Arnie Berger Guest

    I think that the reason that this limitation exists is not the type of
    memory involved but the ability of the chipset to drive the capacitive
    load of three memory SIMMs at 200MHz bus frequency. Thus, when you
    back off to 166MHz (PC2700) you gain enough margin that it works
    reliably.

    arnie

    Arnie Berger, May 19, 2004
  8. Adam S

    Adam S Guest

    The faster PC3200 worked OK, but the slower PC2700 didn't.

    Problem solved, (sort of) as the two 512Mb sticks arrived yesterday and are
    working great.

    Thanks for all your ideas and input folks.

    Adam S

    Adam S, May 19, 2004