A7N8X-X : S2K Bus Disconnect?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Alain, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Alain

    Alain Guest

    Alain, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Alain

    Echo Guest

    Alain,
    I've read through your link and it appears there would be a substantial
    reduction of heat dissipation with the S2 feature enabled. It mentions only
    5 mobos that have it enabled at that time a few months ago so things should
    be looking up with newer board revs. My rev1.04 does not support it but I am
    not sure if a bios upgrade in the future would enable the feature or if it
    needs mobo support.

    David

    Echo, Nov 10, 2003

  3. Alain

    Alain Guest

    David

    Thanks

    I was hoping there where already more asus mobo supported it. Strange
    that it's not even mentioned on the ASUS A7V8X mobo page, which should
    support it. This is significant to make a quieter pc...

    Alain

    Alain, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Alain,

    I have the A7N8X Deluxe Ver.2, and I was able to enable S2 using
    WPCRSET. It is not enabled in the BIOS by default but by using
    WPCRSET, it will automatically change the register to enable S2 every
    time Windows starts.

    Enabling the S2 dropped my idle temps by about 8C, an impressive
    reduction. My Barton 2500, overclocked to 205 x 10.5, idles at about
    33C and rarely gets over about 37C in normal use.

    I'm out of the country for the next couple of weeks so I don't have
    access to my machine to be able to tell you which register needs to be
    changed and the proper value, but you should be able to do a Net
    search and find info on it. The only caveat is that the A7N8X-X has a
    slightly different BIOS than the A7N8X-D and the register location may
    be different.

    Good luck,

    Doug

    Doug Collette, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Alain

    Ed Guest

    In WPCREDIT set offset "6F" from its default value to "1F".

    Cheers,
    Ed
    --
    btw, I made a little program that loads WPCREDIT makes the changes and
    then closes it. I guess using WPCwrite(spelling?) would do the same or

    ' Visual Basic Code for WPCREDIT 6F setter by Ed Wilk.
    '
    Sub Main()
    ' Using basic built in Sendkeys commands.
    DoEvents 'Start your engines!
    x = Shell("WPCREDIT.EXE", vbNormalFocus)

    Start! = Timer
    Do Until (Timer - Start!) Mod 86400 > 30 ' 30 second max wait!
    DoEvents
    H = FindWindow(vbEmpty, "WPCREDIT for WIN32")
    If H <> 0 Then Exit Do ' Found it!...Exit Do Loop...
    Loop

    On Error GoTo NotFnd
    DoEvents
    AppActivate ("WPCREDIT for WIN32"), False
    DoEvents ' OK All systems GO!
    ' ***************************************************
    ' SEND REQUIRED KEYSTROKES TO CHANGE OFFSET 6F to 1F
    ' ***************************************************
    For x = 1 To 15
    SendKeys "{RIGHT}", True ' right arrow
    DoEvents
    Next x

    AppActivate ("WPCREDIT for WIN32"), False
    For x = 1 To 6
    SendKeys "{DOWN}", True ' DOWN arrow
    DoEvents
    Next x

    AppActivate ("WPCREDIT for WIN32"), False
    SendKeys "{ENTER}", True
    SendKeys "{UP}", True
    SendKeys "{LEFT}", True
    SendKeys "1", True
    SendKeys "{ENTER}", True
    DoEvents
    AppActivate ("WPCREDIT for WIN32"), False
    SendKeys "{ENTER}", True

    Start! = Timer
    Do Until (Timer - Start!) Mod 86400 > 1 ' 1 second max wait!
    DoEvents
    Loop

    AppActivate ("WPCREDIT for WIN32"), False
    SendKeys "%{F4}", True ' CLOSE IT

    AllDone:
    Exit Sub 'Elapsed CODE time on A7N8X Barton @2.3GHz, 0.171 seconds.

    NotFnd:
    MsgBox Error$
    Resume AllDone

    End Sub

    Ed, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Alain

    Alain Guest

    Hi Ed

    Is this with a A7N8X-X or a A7N8X Deluxe Ver.2 ?? The -X version has a
    nice price and I don't need the dual-channel "speed-enhancement".

    Thanks for the info.

    Alain

    Alain, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Alain

    Ed Guest

    I did a quick search on Asus FAQ page and all I got back was this....
    Q: Do you know whether a7n8x support "S2K bus disconnect" feature?
    A: Only A7N8X R2.00 (C18D)?has "S2K disconnect." support.

    I first read about it in one of the nforce forums, seems to be working
    on the Abit nF2 boards as well.

    btw, I have the A7N8X v2.00 Standard (No "-X" or "Deluxe" stuff), and it
    works real nice, 110% stable with S2K enabled or not.

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Nov 14, 2003
  8. Alain,

    As I said at the beginning of my message, I have the A7N8X Deluxe Rev.
    2 board, not the A7N8X-X. For the A7N8X Deluxe, you need to change
    register location 6F from it's default value (sorry, don't remember
    what it was) to 1F.

    Here's what I would recommend. Start Windows and use WPCREDIT to
    change the default value of register 6F to the new value of 1F. Then
    using Mother Board Monitor or Asus Probe, see if your idle temperature
    drops. If it does, then you can use WPCRSET to make the change
    permanent.

    If it didn't work or locks up your machine because the register
    location or value are different on the A7N8X-X, then simply reboot and
    the value will return to the default value again. WPCREDIT allows you
    to change values but they return to the default when you reboot (great
    for testing) while WPCRSET loads the new values every time Windows
    starts (great for making the change "permanent".)

    Good luck,

    Doug

    Doug Collette, Nov 15, 2003