A7N8X-X sees Athlon XP2800+ as XP2200+

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Pulsar, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Pulsar

    Pulsar Guest

    Just installed an Athlon 2800+ processor (333MHz FSB, Barton core, 512Mb
    cahe, 2.08GHz on a new A7N8X-X board. Memory is Samsung 512Mb PC2100
    266MHz. System information reports I have an XP2200+ running at 1.7GHz.

    The board is pretty much set to default, with the exception that I chose the
    "Aggressive" setting, which seems not to make a nary of difference in
    performance.

    I'm a newbie to board tweaking, but have read many articles and have changed
    the frequency and multiplier incrementally, etc. The board will either not
    boot, or I get worse or the same performance, depending upon what I've
    fooled around with.

    I'm a newbie to board tweaking and don't trust what I'm doing. Before I
    even consider overclocking, I'd like to get the board and the 2800+
    processor running to the processor's frequency spec., which is listed as
    2.08 GHz. Could my problem be with my RAM, or my ignorance, or both?

    Would appreciate any help from you pros out there.

    Pulsar, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Pulsar

    Ed Guest

    Sounds like you have the settings wrong,
    Barton 2800+ would use...
    CPU External Freq. MHz [166]
    CPU Frequency Multiple [12.5x]

    The board should detect the multiplier of the CPU (12.5x), if not you
    can change it if the CPU is unlocked (a week 38 or earlier core).

    CPU Frequency Multiple Setting [Menu]
    CPU Frequency Multiple [12.5x]

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Pulsar

    dino Guest

    for starters..YOU have the wrong RAM..you need PC2700-333mhz memory...you
    are running 266mhz...that is why the speed is reported wrong.When you get
    the right memory and go into the BIOS and set it 166 FSB for the CPU..you
    will have the right clock...personally if you are going to OC it...buy
    PC3200 so it will take a higher FSB.

    dino, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Pulsar

    Ed Guest

    BTW if your CPU is unlocked, due to the way the A7N8X's work, you will
    only be able to select a multiplier of 12.5x or lower with a CPU that
    has a default multiplier of 12.5x or lower.

    If the CPU had a 13x multiplier by default then you would only be able
    to set it manually to 13x or greater.

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Pulsar

    Ed Guest

    A7N8X-X Memory Support.
    3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets
    Max.3 GB unbuffered PC3200/PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC DDR RAM Memory

    Ed

    Ed, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Pulsar

    dino Guest

    right I see that..he has a 333FSB CPU running at 266....if you do the
    math.....133*12.5=1662.5
    166*12.5=2075mhz or roughly 2.1 ghz..Barton2800

    dino, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Pulsar

    Pulsar Guest

    Thanks, guys ... I suspected the problem might be with the PC2100 memory.
    Guess I'll have to save more pennies and get PC3200. BTW, with the PC2100
    memory I have, I can't set the FSB at anything other than 133MHz, it seems.
    This is to be expected, right? At any rate, I'll let y'all know how I make
    out with faster memory (though it'll probably take another payccheck or two.
    Thanks again for your help!

    Pulsar, Jan 12, 2004
  8. Pulsar

    Pulsar Guest

    One final question -- Once I get the PC3200 memory, can I also use the old
    2100 memory? I'll bet not; seems illogical that mixed frequencies would
    work. Appreciate your interest and help.

    Pulsar, Jan 12, 2004
  9. Pulsar

    Andrew Guest

    You can use it, but all the memory will run at the speed of the slower
    memory.

    Andrew, Jan 12, 2004
  10. Pulsar

    Pulsar Guest

    Thanks again to all of you for your help.

    Pulsar, Jan 13, 2004