A7N8X-X Wont get past post (or even post)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by James, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Hi, i am trying to fix a pc for a friend and i was hoping someone on here
    may have some ideas of the problem.

    The has the above motherboard and i have been told for a long time the pc
    just wont work, after looking at it my self, the fans go on when turned on
    but nothing appears on the screen at all and after about 4 secs it just goes
    off everytime.

    I have tried seeing if the motherboard is shorting its self on the case and
    its not, i have tried disconnecting the hard drive / video card / ram /
    clearing the cmos and nothing seems to work.

    Will this be a duff psu?

    Thanks for any advice.

    James

    James, Nov 17, 2005

  2. James

    Natéag Guest

    Maybe your friend tried to update the BIOS and failed.
    If so you can have a new one flashed for that board at
    www.badbiosflash.com

    16$US
    One can also send the defective BIOS for reflashing, for
    half the price.

    I did once, and got excellent service.

    ====

    I cannot vouch that the problem is with the BIOS, unless
    ....(see first paragraph above).

    Natéag, Nov 17, 2005

  3. James

    Venom Guest

    It sure sounds like your power supply is rooted.
    www.badflash.com is also another option. They are in the US and I am in Oz
    but the service was very quick.

    Venom, Nov 17, 2005
  4. James

    DDC Guest

    i got that board on one of my pc's and it does this behavior when
    overcloking the cpu to a rate that your memory can't support. IE: i
    must set my pc to operate at 11.5X200 to get it to work properly
    nothing under. I got a 2600@333 barton and it can go at 2.3gig with no
    problem but at that speed i would have to get a new fan and heat
    spreader.

    Try to get in the bios and set every thing at stock speed. and see.

    DDC, Nov 17, 2005
  5. James

    milleron Guest

    He can't get video output and can't keep the board powered on for >4
    seconds, so I don't think this is going to work. I don't think a bad
    flash could make the board literally power down, but it should be
    possible to clear the CMOS to get back to BIOS defaults -- worth a
    try. Also, I think that improperly installed thermal paste or heatsink
    on the CPU might just make the machine power down this fast, although
    it's not as likely as a bad PSU.

    Ron

    milleron, Nov 18, 2005
  6. James

    DDC Guest

    Yes but it's really close from what i got when O/c the cpu. no boot no
    video nothing.

    And yep he could clear he's cmos by unplugging the pc, removing the
    battery, switching the jumper near the battery socket "clrtc1" to
    (2,3) like 5 sec and put it back to (1,2) replace the battery, plug
    the computer and hold the delete key to get in the bios.

    For the thermal paste i think he would have notice it before if he had
    burn the cpu. it happen to me with a duron without any heat sink and
    cop protection... it take 1 second and the cpu dead.

    maybe this will work.

    DDC, Nov 18, 2005
  7. James

    Natéag Guest

    If he tried to flash with BIOS 1009, which no longer appears
    on Asus web site, he could have trashed his motherboard, or CPU.

    Natéag, Nov 19, 2005
  8. James

    DDC Guest

    I've run the bios 1009 for several mounts before flashing to 1010...
    If there are doubt that it's the psu that is faulty try your in is...
    and see what it does. if it does the same problem then maybe there is
    a shortcut or the cpu overheat and power down by it self. the four
    sec's is i sing to me that there is some bios function in he's cmos.
    So the problem could be the psu. Is it an old one. Does he have
    installed a big video card like a x850 or x800 or an equivalent of
    nvidia... these card take a lot of juice. So have a look at the psu.
    Also when the psu pass out it common that there is other part of the
    computer that goes with it so. You may have some other trouble let's
    hope not.

    Or get an other mobo it's sold under 60$ so... plus all other mobo
    with the socket a are dual channel. so it's like an upgrade...

    cheer.

    DDC, Nov 19, 2005