    My current work around is , Unplug the rj45 cable from the problemed
    PC, turn it on, and then plug in the rj45 cable after the bios POST.
    Thanks

    fungord, Nov 20, 2003

  2. fungord

    Paul Guest

    We could use a little more information. What is the model number
    of the Netgear router ? What is the model number of the Speedstream
    DSL modem ? When you say "start the second PC", do you mean
    flipping the power switch on the back of the case to the ON position,
    or just pressing the button on the front ?

    I'm surprised that the BIOS code would be using the Ethernet interface
    so early in the boot process. Do you see the Ethernet LEDs on the
    second PC flash just before the DSL modem lights go off ?

    My first guess is the power transient from the second PC starting,
    is reaching the electronics on the DSL modem and causing it to drop.
    But until you describe in gory detail, the series of events, it is
    hard to be sure.

    As a workaround, try plugging the router and the DSL modem into
    another outlet, preferably on a different circuit from the ones that
    the PCs use. You might be dealing with some bad (weak) AC wiring
    somewhere.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 20, 2003

  3. fungord

    fungord Guest

    Paul, I thought it was a power issue to so a while back I bought a UPS
    with AVR. I seemed to have helped but know the problem is back.
    I will run an extention from another outlet next.
    About the other things you asked Netgear RT314, speedstream 5360.

    fungord, Nov 22, 2003