    try various combos of the two new mem cards, but couldn't get it to work. I
    could see the PC knew they were there by looking at BIOS. They are now
    pulled, and I'm back to just 1G. Comments?

    W. Watson, Mar 9, 2008

  2. W. Watson

    Paul Guest

    The empirical evidence is, that the motherboard can handle less than
    2GB of memory. The thread here, has feedback from a number of users
    who've tried to upgrade.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...oard_id=1&model=A7S333&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    This is the largest working configuration -

    "The best I could do was to combine three sticks....
    1gig, 512, 256 for a total of 1,792."

    That tells you that three sticks work, but maybe there
    is something wrong with resource allocation when a lot
    of RAM is present. Something that they never tested.

    If you look at the user manual, when the motherboard
    was released, the tested memory listed in the manual
    was only 128MB and 256MB sticks. That means, that
    1GB sticks might only have been a dream at that point.

    Here is another strange datapoint. I'm speechless.

    http://support.asus.com/faq/faq_rig...C-265F-8CA0-0FC9-13ECE601189B&SLanguage=en-us

    There is a remote possibility the sticks are "high
    density", but I examined the Patriot web pages, and
    the specs for those products claim they are "two rank"
    modules, which would be low density. So that probably
    isn't it. I'm just surprised that one of the new ones,
    wouldn't have worked error free by itself.

    If trying one stick, the best slot should be
    furthest from the processor (DIMM3). The termination
    resistors should be right next to that slot, which
    is why I'd select it.

    If it really doesn't look like a 2x1GB config is going
    to work, I'd try to return that memory and get your
    money back. The stick could be defective I suppose,
    but the motherboard is at least as likely to be
    playing a part in this.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 9, 2008

  3. W. Watson

    Supernews Guest

    What is motherboard?
    What BIOS version? Most current available?
    What models of Patriot memory?
    Does 1 stick of new memory work properly?
    ===========================

    Supernews, Mar 9, 2008
  4. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Thanks. I'll see if I can contact them tomorrow, and put it to them. They
    used to have weekend support. Recession blues?

    W. Watson, Mar 9, 2008
  5. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    This may be futile if the poster above is right. In any case:
    BIOS Rev 1006, 4/30/03
    Patriot PSD1G266, 1G PC2100 CL2.5
    Yes, 1G has worked fine since I put it in several years ago. Prior to that I
    was running with maybe 256 or 512M. The only difference I can note between
    the old 1G and the new ones is the new ones say RoHS compliant.

    W. Watson, Mar 9, 2008
  6. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    And of course, the MB is in the Subject.

    W. Watson, Mar 9, 2008