A7V IDE Controller destroyed disk data?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Christoph Mueller, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have a big problem with my harddisk:

    Yesterday I switched my 160 GB Samsung harddisk from the promise ide
    controller to the primary ide controller, both integrated into my ASUS
    A7V board.
    (I did handle the hardrive very carefully and it had no errors before)
    when booting windows it said that the disk had to be checked for
    errors, and then it displayed cryptic messages for 2 hours. which
    could be described as one of the worst 2 hours of my life.
    After that all my files were still there, but half of them now contain
    only garbage.
    i can still access them all, they have the right size, but the content
    is corrupted.

    The text displayed by chkdsk was like this:

    The Signature of the Multi-sektor-headers for the virtual
    Cluster-number (VCN) 0x114 of Index $I30 in the File 0x2b4a
    is not correct.
    Errors in Index $I30 of file 11082 are being repaired.
    Index $I30 in file 11082 is getting sorted.
    (!Translated from German!)

    Norton Disc Doctor and chkdsk could not find any errors on the disk
    afterwards. And the whole disk is still readable

    The filesystem is NTFS, the disk is a 2 month old samsung 160 GB

    After consulting some wise folks my best guess about what happened is
    this:

    either the promise controller or the primary ide controller recognised
    the disk geometry wrong, probably because it was 160 GB.
    After switching controllers the file table pointed to the wrong
    sectors and chkdsk helpfully "repaired" all files thereby finally
    destroing my data.

    Can anyone verify or disprove my theory? Or add anything to it?
    Or has someody simmilar experiences?

    I have a backup of most of the data, but the last month is probably
    lost.
    However before I restore the data I need to make sure which controller
    caused the error so I do not destroy everything again.
    And I need to make absolutely sure that this does not happen ever
    again.

    Could updating the Bios solve this?
    I have Bios version 1011, The promise Controller has Bios 2.01.0
    (Build 43)
    How can I find out which Controller was the cause?

    I cannot afford to experiment too much, because I dont want to loose
    any more data

    Thanks a lot for your help

    Christoph Mueller, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Is your PCI-bus running at normal speed (33 MHz) or are you overclocking ?
    The Promise chip proofed to be more resistant towards higher PCI clocks than
    the onboard VIA-controller does...

    Cya -

    Joachim

    Joachim Klein, Oct 19, 2003

  3. I never overclocked anything, i think
    I have switched disks in the past between these controllers without
    problems, only yesterday was devastating :(

    Christoph Mueller, Oct 19, 2003