    MB for Ultra100 the BIOS and OS sees my 250GB drives but when the MB is
    jumpered for Fasttrak100 the FastBuild Utility says they are 137GB drives.
    Any ideas?

    Scott Thompson, Nov 23, 2003

  2. I think you may need Beta 1010.01b for 48-bit LBA.

    E.P. van Westendorp, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Hi Frank,
    I agree with the first point, that's why I said to use the latest Bios
    (Beta 1010.01b).
    In this case the build in Promise Bios should be 48-bit LBA enabled, I'm
    not sure that's the case even with the new beta Bios.

    Ofcourse 48-bit LBA applies to a large hard disk, your second point.

    The third point only applies to the O/S used, apparently Windows XP.
    May be quite different using another O/S and is no factor when running
    the FastBuild Utility.

    E.P. van Westendorp, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Scott Thompson

    Frank Guest

    The following conditions are necessary for the correct
    functioning of 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:
    A computer with a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic
    Input/Output
    System (BIOS) installed.
    A computer with a hard disk that has a capacity of
    greater
    than 137 gigabytes (GB).
    You must enable the support in the Windows registry by
    adding or changing the EnableBigLba registry value to 1
    in
    the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ata
    pi\Parameters

    To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:
    Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ata
    pi\Parameters
    On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the
    following registry value:
    Value name: EnableBigLba
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 0x1
    Quit Registry Editor.

    Frank, Nov 29, 2003
  5. What I meant to say is that when you use the seperate Promise chip on
    the A7V133 with a very large disk the build in Promise Bios should also
    be ready for 48-bit LBA.

    As this is a (Lite) Promise FastTrak100 Bios and only the last version
    of that Bios supports 48-bit it's very possible the latest A7V133 Bios
    is 48-bit enabled but the embedded Promise Bios isn't yet.

    Also running the FastBuild utility should detect the correct disk size.
    It doesn't matter what is in the Registry because the utility is run
    before anything of whatever O/S has been loaded.

    E.P. van Westendorp, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Scott Thompson

    Frank Guest

    Hi,
    The problem is solved by a registry setting in Windows 2000 as posted
    before.
    Only XP With SP1 is the first Microsoft OS which supports large >137 GB
    disks by default.

    Frank, Nov 30, 2003