    post. After hitting the reset switch everything comes up fine and runs
    forever (as long as 16hrs I've let it run).

    Strangest thing I've seen. Anyone else seen or heard of such a thing?

    Scott Jeslis, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Scott Jeslis

    -DraconuS- Guest

    Hi

    Try with another (better/more powerful) PSU...

    -DraconuS-, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Scott Jeslis

    Larry Guest

    Might want to look at the chipset fan. The A7V133 is notorious for having
    one of the poorest chipset fans around using a sleeve bearing instead of a
    ball bearing that gets dry and starts making weird sounds especially shortly
    after turning on the PC after a night of cooling off. I had to replaced my
    fan after about six months of use because I couldn't stand the noise.

    Three options here.... disconnect the chipset fan and see if it still howls.
    If it stops, 1) replace the fan with any 20m x 20m fan (mounting may be a
    challenge); 2) lift the sticker and place a drop of light machine oil on the
    spindle letting it set for a while and then replacing the sticker; 3)
    purchase a small heat sink with double sided thermal tape after removing the
    bracket clip for the fan. The latter may require temporary removal of the
    mobo to get to the holding pins on the bottom.

    Good luck.

    Larry

    Larry, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Scott Jeslis

    Scott Jeslis Guest

    That's a good suggestion but I'm already running with a 400 watt PSU.

    I do have 2 4-port USB Hubs but one of those has it's own power
    source.

    It's funny because I just powered down to check the power supply and
    when I repowered up I didn't have this issue.

    Scott Jeslis, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Scott Jeslis

    GSeals Guest

    I had the same issue three years ago with the TUSL2C board. The board
    ran fine for about 6 months, then the computer began to freeze on a
    regular basis. When I hit the reset button, the monitor would go to a
    black screen and the siren would come on. Asus tech support said it
    was a signal for a critical failure of the board, usually related to
    either a CPU issue or a bad power supply. I installed the Asus
    monitor and noticed the CPU fan seemed to be turning on and off. I
    swapped a known good heatsink and fan along with a new Antec power
    supply and got the same result. I was able to get an RMA number and
    swap the board for a new one when we finally decided there was a
    problem with the boards fan circuitry.

    GSeals

    GSeals, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Scott Jeslis

    Scott Jeslis Guest

    Larry,

    Thanks for the suggestion but this is not a chipset fan issue.
    That's not the siren I'm hearing. I'm hearing the 1 long/1 short
    BIOS sound.

    Thanks,
    Scott

    Scott Jeslis, Dec 23, 2003
  7. my board did this when i didnt hook the 12v lead to my Radeon 9700 Pro AIW

    have you connected both the 4 pin and the large molex power connectors to
    the motherboard?

    Philip Callan, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Scott Jeslis

    Scott Jeslis Guest

    Hmm, interesting. I did try a new power supply. Went from a 400w to a
    600w and as soon as I powered on... the issue happened again.

    So upgraded power supply was no help.

    It's really more of an inconvience other then anything else.

    As far as the bad cpu/fan Gseals... this happens on a cold start. On a
    "warm start" I don't see it. I see it when I shut the system
    completely down for the night and come back to power on the next
    morning.

    Scott Jeslis, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Scott Jeslis

    Scott Jeslis Guest

    Last night I left the PC plugged in, in "standby mode" I guess it
    would be called. It was shutdown but the green power LED on the board
    was lite. When I powered on this morning I had no issue.

    Scott Jeslis, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Scott Jeslis

    GSeals Guest

    I don't remember having the issue on a cold boot, but then that was at
    least three years ago, and sometimes my memory fades. (We refer to
    that around home as CRS, Can't Remember S**t.) I do remember that
    the warning didn't happen every day at first, but got worse over time.
    It is strange that once "warm" you don't seem to have the problem.

    I have searched my backup files to see if I had saved any of the
    correspondence with Asus tech support for this issue. If I find them,
    I'll be glad to post them here, but so far, I've had no luck in
    locating a copy.

    I would think that the siren warning would be the same for each Asus
    board, and is evidently their warning of a critical failure. Asus
    tech was of the opinion that I needed to resolve the issue because,
    according to them, it could lead to a total system failure if left
    unchecked. I was building a new system for my son based on an Intel
    epea board at the time the problem started. I put the Asus board in
    his case along with new ram, new hard drive, new video card, and new
    heatsink and fan. In fact, the only common parts were the board and
    cpu. I still got the euro style siren warning and Black SOD after
    doing a clean install of Windows. I RMA'd the board and put the new
    board in the old case with the original ram, cpu, HD, video card and
    heatsink/fan. It still runs great today and I've not heard the siren
    since.

    Since you've tried a new power supply, I suspect the problem is with
    the board. Be sure to post any solution you may reach. I, for one,
    would be interested as to the outcome. Good luck,

    GSeals

    GSeals, Dec 25, 2003
  11. Scott Jeslis

    Scott Jeslis Guest

    My next thing I am in the process of trying is matching all the SDRAM
    DIMMs. I currently have 2 Crucial 256MB DIMMs and 1 "Unknown" 512MB
    DIMM. I'm in the process of replacing the "Unknown" 512MB with
    comprable Crucial memory.

    Scott Jeslis, Jan 2, 2004